Game scores don’t show unless published?

Eric Bischof

On 7/2/2023 at 3:07 PM, Eric Bischof said:

Is it expected behavior for game scores that have been entered via the mobile app to not appear on the website for all users to see until an admin clicks the Publish button to republish the microsite? That seems…odd. 

Wow. I really hope this isn't the case.

Practices, games, scores, and standings should automatically update. So many of our users prefer websites over mobile - the site experience should be as good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

Welcome to the SportsEngine Community, where admins can share insights and collaborate with one another!

I wanted to reach out and see if this is still occurring. Just to clarify, you are scoring and tapping the 'save' button and they're not previewing on the website? 

Let me know—as always, thanks for choosing SportsEngine.

Hi, I'm both a website admin and a coach. When I enter a final sore on the SE mobile app and submit, it does not display on the microsite until the site is republished via the backend by going to Settings and clicking on Publish Latest Changes button...and even then, sometimes it seems to work and sometimes it doesn't. I can still see the final score that I entered in the mobile app but it doesn't show in the microsite. I'm also experiencing an issue via desktop when I open the schedule screen on the backend: it just displays "You don't have anything scheduled yet. Let's get started by adding games or events to the schedule." until I add a filter and then it will display games---and even then, some (or sometimes all) of the games are marked TBD vs TBD which is crazy. Perhaps it's just my site but I'm seeing so many issues with Sports Mgmt lately.

On 7/14/2023 at 2:03 PM, Eric Bischof said:

Hi, I'm both a website admin and a coach. When I enter a final sore on the SE mobile app and submit, it does not display on the microsite until the site is republished via the backend by going to Settings and clicking on Publish Latest Changes button...and even then, sometimes it seems to work and sometimes it doesn't. I can still see the final score that I entered in the mobile app but it doesn't show in the microsite. I'm also experiencing an issue via desktop when I open the schedule screen on the backend: it just displays "You don't have anything scheduled yet. Let's get started by adding games or events to the schedule." until I add a filter and then it will display games---and even then, some (or sometimes all) of the games are marked TBD vs TBD which is crazy. Perhaps it's just my site but I'm seeing so many issues with Sports Mgmt lately.

We also see the "TBD" issue and the help desk filed a bug report against it 3 weeks ago. The ticket is not yet being worked. It is ID 327 if you want to add your report to it or reference it when you file a bug report.

Our organization is coming from League Athletics, where the scheduling features were fabulous - a master calendar across seasons for conflict checking, individual facility start, end, and blackout dates with open and close times, recurring events for practices (not just recurring games), and a lot of things that made the job doable. Standings and schedules easily accessible across the league, not just for the teams you are on. Plus League Athletics let us run a house level tournament at the end of the season and autoscheduled that for us. Season Management needs so much work it's not even funny.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 2:03 PM, Eric Bischof said:

I asked a related question here:

Just to clarify, a coach can score a game in the app?

• 5 weeks later...

@Kelsey Erwin Any update on this issue? It is still the case that when scores are updated (whether via SE Mobile app, via HQ->Season Mgmt->Schedule) we need an Admin to push the Publish button before the scores will appear in the microsite. This can't be working as designed, correct? It's very frustrating. I can vaguely see the case for needing to republish major changes that impact the overall game schedule or something of that nature....but simple score updates to existing games on the schedule? It's frustrating..
Thanks for your help. 

• Like 2

So I'm trying to stay calm on this whole thing, but "Season Management" might drive us off the platform. 

When a coach updates a score in app and saves it as "FINAL" it does not appear on the micro site or the HQ. I have to look up the game on my phone, then "Score Game" in HQ. Then I have to click "PUBLISH." Even then, sometimes the game score just disappears again. 

Also, a huge frustration is that the app no longer displays standings. So parents have to RSVP to games in the app, then visit a website for game outcomes and standings? Makes ZERO sense. 

8 hours ago, Laura N said:

So I'm trying to stay calm on this whole thing, but "Season Management" might drive us off the platform. 

When a coach updates a score in app and saves it as "FINAL" it does not appear on the micro site or the HQ. I have to look up the game on my phone, then "Score Game" in HQ. Then I have to click "PUBLISH." Even then, sometimes the game score just disappears again. 

Also, a huge frustration is that the app no longer displays standings. So parents have to RSVP to games in the app, then visit a website for game outcomes and standings? Makes ZERO sense. 

FWIW you should be able to just publish the scored game. So the workflow our league is using is:

1) Scheduler schedules everything so we can make sure it's right (we have always done this - League Athletics let us prevent coaches from ever entering games which was great)

2) Coaches score games in the app. I wish they could also do so in TeamCenter, as some of them dislike the app, which is their prerogative.

3) Those scored games, because they were initially created under Season Management, DO show up as final and scored.

4) Myself, as the web admin, hits "Publish" at least once a day to sync changes to the microsite <-- this part is especially not ideal and could be automated

Like you, we have seen scores disappear at least once, but most of them have stuck around. I find that if you color even just a tiny bit outside the lines of what the system expects it will behave very badly. Even if you do what it wants, it will still sometimes be buggy, but a little less so.