How to run a Tournament in SE?

JasonDLehman

I am seeking instructions on how to properly set up a Tournament in SportsEngine.  There is a marketing page dedicated to this (https://www.sportsengine.com/solutions/capabilities/organize/tournaments) however I am not finding anything within SE HQ that aligns to these needs.  I also cannot find any online instructions or posts within this community about the steps to set one up.  Help?

Hi Jason, 

Excellent question - the tournament solution within SportsEngine HQ is set up to best operate in tandem with TourneyMachine. You can register players, create teams and then integrate those teams over to TourneyMachine to generate games, schedules and manage operations. TourneyMachine is a part of the SportsEngine family and is a top-rated solution to run and manage tournaments. We had a solution within SportsEngine HQ in the past, but TourneyMachine is the far superior option. 

Our Product team is currently in the works of creating a more integrated experience that should be delivered in 2024. 

Let me know if it would be helpful to get you in touch with your account manager to help you work through a solution here!

Marie Fitzgerald

Director, Product Marketing

Jason, I'm there with you on this question. Marie, we've used tourney machine in the past and I rolled over the registration this year to the SE site as a new registration. Sounds like your advice on scheduling is we still need to use tourney machine for schedules. Won't that force everyone to download a run a separate app just for the tournament? Does that mean we then need to pay for the tourney machine just for scheduling? Any advice would be great.

Thank you,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 7:05 AM, Rob Hanson said:

Jason, I'm there with you on this question. Marie, we've used tourney machine in the past and I rolled over the registration this year to the SE site as a new registration. Sounds like your advice on scheduling is we still need to use tourney machine for schedules. Won't that force everyone to download a run a separate app just for the tournament? Does that mean we then need to pay for the tourney machine just for scheduling? Any advice would be great.

Thank you,

Rob

We have a similar (maybe somewhat different) question. We run an in-house tournament for our house league at the end of every spring season. In the past our sports management app let us build a bracket for this with our house teams in every division that we needed it for as part of that app. Tourney Machine would be overkill for this, but HQ doesn't have the bracket feature. It's not strictly necessary, but it was a slick tool our members appreciated.

Hi @freezinKT,  at this time, you would still need both apps, but our team is working to roll out single sign-on soon to allow easier access to jump from one app to the other. In addition, we've shared the integration and single solution feedback with our team, who is feverishly working to make the app more progressive in the future. Stay tuned for more updates!

• 7 months later...

So SE has accomplished the single sign on, but that doesn't eliminate the need to use two apps, teach people/parents to use two apps and the league needing to pay to roll out an end of season bracket in a second app.

I really was trying to like SE, but it may be time to demo some competitors. SE's support has been murdered by the bots apparently. IF you can get a live person don't wait until the last minute to ask a question; plan to ask it days ahead of getting an actual answer.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I understand your frustration with the current situation regarding the single sign-on feature on SE. While it's a step forward in convenience, it's clear that it doesn't fully address the issue of having to use multiple apps and the associated challenges with teaching users, especially parents, to navigate them. Additionally, the extra cost and effort required for features like end-of-season brackets in a separate app can be burdensome for leagues.

It's disappointing to hear about your experience with SE's support, and I apologize for the inconvenience caused by automated responses. Waiting for a live person only to receive delayed assistance is understandably frustrating.

Exploring alternatives might indeed be a prudent step at this point to see if there are platforms better suited to your needs. It's essential to find a solution that streamlines processes and provides reliable support when needed. KMFusa

If you decide to demo competitors, I hope you find one that meets your expectations and simplifies your workflow. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention, and please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

• 3 weeks later...