Notifications for new app not going away on iPhone

Ryan Chapel

I've updated to the newest version of the app on my iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 16.6.1 and I will view the chat of my team and scroll all the way down to the bottom, but when I go back or quit the app the chat notifications still appear. Very frustrating. I don't remember this happening before the latest update.

It might not matter, but just FYI I have 3 current teams in my app and switching between them regularly.

19 minutes ago, Ryan Chapel said:

I've updated to the newest version of the app on my iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 16.6.1 and I will view the chat of my team and scroll all the way down to the bottom, but when I go back or quit the app the chat notifications still appear. Very frustrating. I don't remember this happening before the latest update.

It might not matter, but just FYI I have 3 current teams in my app and switching between them regularly.

Do any of those chat timestamps occur in the future by any chance? I have reported a bug to the app developers with a screenshot showing that some of our chat messagess - it often seems to be from our teams' coaches for some reason - appear with a future timestamp. The notification won't go away until actual time where I am has caught up to whenever the future is. I think for me in the chats that are wrong are typically 4 hours in the future from whenever they are sent. Of course notifications may occur well after chats are sent, so sometimes the notification only shows for 3 hours or less.

Edited by freezinKT
  • Like 1

I have had this problem since some time in 2023 with an older version of the app and now a new one.  I am an iOS user, it seems to hugely inflate the number of unread messages (largest seen is over 100) when there are no unread messages or only one.  I don’t believe it is unique to admins or coaches, it can result from anyone posting.

• Confused 1

Feels like someone added logic to use local time and compare it to whatever time is there on the server without any kind of conversion to UTC. If you're in CA it's 2:00pm, but if the server is in NY then it's 5:00pm there. So the app on the phone in CA thinks it's futuristic. Just a theory from a one-time developer. If it's more than a few hours in advance then probably not the issue, though.

• Like 1

Just now, Felzani, Matthew said:

Feels like someone added logic to use local time and compare it to whatever time is there on the server without any kind of conversion to UTC. If you're in CA it's 2:00pm, but if the server is in NY then it's 5:00pm there. So the app on the phone in CA thinks it's futuristic. Just a theory from a one-time developer. If it's more than a few hours in advance then probably not the issue, though.

My guess (as a developer) is that they convert to UTC at one point, then forget to convert back later. It definitely feels like a time conversion bug of some sort!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue…notifications don’t go away.  Also will show 112 when really there are only 4.👎🏼

Another issue I don’t like with the new version is that you can’t see all events at one time, you have to click on each day on the calendar to see the events, can’t scroll and see a week at a time. 👎🏼

I’ve contacted SE and got a response that didn’t relate to either of my questions or issues. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just released a new version of the SportsEngine app today for iOS. Please go into the app store and ensure you have the latest update. 

This should fix the outstanding issue with notifications and will have the "list view" back in the schedule. 

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 8.41.28 AM.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Marie Fitzgerald

Director, Product Marketing

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting theory! It does seem like a plausible explanation, especially considering the potential time zone differences between the user's location and the server. If the app doesn't handle time conversions to UTC properly, Official Site it could lead to this futuristic time display discrepancy. I wonder if the development team is aware of this potential issue and if there's a plan to address it. Thanks for sharing your insights! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 9:55 AM, Marie Fitzgerald said:

We just released a new version of the SportsEngine app today for iOS. Please go into the app store and ensure you have the latest update. 

This should fix the outstanding issue with notifications and will have the "list view" back in the schedule. 

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 8.41.28 AM.jpeg

I have version 7.0.14 and unless I turn off notifications, the badges stay and the counts are way off inside of the chat still. 

• 4 weeks later...

I frequently get back-to-back messages from administrators and the first one will have a time stamp with current date/time (let’s say 16:45 on a Wednesday). However, the very next message by the same administrator literally seconds later will have a time stamp that simply says “Thursday.” It happened today on two different leagues with two different administrators. Now I have multiple notification badges that won’t go away. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

I believe someone maybe onto something about UTC time in the code. Coach sent something out at 6:34am, we replied at 6:37am and can see in screenshot it’s time stamped 12:37pm and then coach replied back at 6:44am. Waiting to see if the notification alert will go away after 12:37pm. I hope the developers are looking into this because it’s annoying and should be a relatively easy fix.IMG_0896.thumb.jpeg.480d37df73e909f5d82879ee5ff5a89a.jpeg

• Like 1