NEW SportsEngine mobile app now available

Marie Fitzgerald

We rebuilt the SportsEngine app for teams from the ground up with new features, improved reliability, and more flexible communication capabilities. Plus, more enhancements are coming over the next year. Learn more here >

I am so excited to get this new app out to customers and to hear the feedback so we can continue to improve and add the necessary features and functionality. 

Head to your phone's app store to download today! 

Google Play > Available starting October 6th
Apple App Store > Available now

970x250 AM-Signature-Pre-Release.png

Marie Fitzgerald

Director, Product Marketing

For what it's worth:

1) The webpage promises greater reliability. The old app never crashed for me (though it had other bugs). The new app promptly crashed twice last night as I was attempting to open it to track down an issue with one of my teams' schedules.

2) As stated elsewhere, the list interface for scheduling is much simpler than the calendar interface. On the list interface I could see an arbitrary number of days of schedules for the 4 teams I am currently a parent for in one scroll. With the calendar it's click...click...click...click and within those clicks occasional scrolling. The information is hidden behind extra steps. Please make a list interface the default, with an option for the calendar if some people truly like it.

3) A bug I have reported before still lingers. A chat doesn't always generate notifications immediately on iPhone. Yesterday after downloading the app I got a notification 7 minutes after a message was sent. That's better than the half a day I've seen before, but still not as good as Google Hangouts or any text message app.

4) Multiple coaches in our org have asked for the option for chat to send text notifications to families who opt into that. Is that potentially on the road map?

• Like 1

Can definitely confirm reliability is now a worse problem. I now cannot RSVP for at least 1 game in the app. The game was added today, I think via Season Management (not the app, and definitely not Sports Management). Never had that problem before. I had to use TeamCenter to RSVP.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2023 at 11:47 AM, freezinKT said:

For what it's worth:

1) The webpage promises greater reliability. The old app never crashed for me (though it had other bugs). The new app promptly crashed twice last night as I was attempting to open it to track down an issue with one of my teams' schedules.

2) As stated elsewhere, the list interface for scheduling is much simpler than the calendar interface. On the list interface I could see an arbitrary number of days of schedules for the 4 teams I am currently a parent for in one scroll. With the calendar it's click...click...click...click and within those clicks occasional scrolling. The information is hidden behind extra steps. Please make a list interface the default, with an option for the calendar if some people truly like it.

3) A bug I have reported before still lingers. A chat doesn't always generate notifications immediately on iPhone. Yesterday after downloading the app I got a notification 7 minutes after a message was sent. That's better than the half a day I've seen before, but still not as good as Google Hangouts or any text message app.

4) Multiple coaches in our org have asked for the option for chat to send text notifications to families who opt into that. Is that potentially on the road map?

#2 is is HUGE issue. This calendar interface is awful for families trying to figure out when things are. 

Bring back standings in app. Parents should not have to use the app and go to a non-mobile friendly website to view all the information. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, stvangell said:

I am having trouble with the new app as well. Can’t see RSVP’s for the team, tried redownloading the app and I can no longer log in, it doesn’t recognize my email address. Any help would be appreciated.

https://help.sportsengine.com/en/articles/6662746-sportsengine-mobile-start-up-guide

Or possibly:

https://mobile-help.sportsengine.com/en/collections/5537938-account-basics

Does a magic link work?

If that doesn't work, see if you can reach the help desk directly.

SE new App chat has been aweful for most parents in my organization.  The SE Chat feature glitches, text spills out of chat box, covering other messages and flickers when scrolling to bottom.  Making it almost unusable.  We all have tried removing app, reinstalling, powering off phone and logging off and back on… all with no fix.

additionally, loss of functionality of calendar list and loss of direct messaging and viewing messages from app makes it worse.

anyone know how to revert app back to original ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Linn Buchanan said:

I have a bunch of parents who have the new app and CANNOT read details of the game when we put the info in the description area of an event or game. THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE! How do we get this fixed? 

Post here. Email your league’s account manager. Contact the help desk chat. Fill out the feedback form in the app (accessible from the menu). Basically try making as much noise as you can if you have a pressing bug. It may not escalate the fix to a priority, but it’s the best chance you have. Sometimes it does work.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 5:55 AM, Marie Fitzgerald said:

We will release a list view back into the calendar on the mobile app very soon - appreciate everyone's feedback here!

Please continue to share any insights you have with the Community.

Marie - Do you know when? New winter season is starting and this calendar view is a real pain on iOS. Or can we roll back to the old app somehow?

Also, on Android phones the app crashes. All families using android reporting the same issues. I have an Android and iOS phone and I can confirm that on Android only, there's an error when you go to the TEAMS icon that says "Error fetching your teams" and then if you click on our SPECIFIC team in the chat section on an android phone, it crashes the whole app. Every parent with an android phone has the same issues. 

Any timetable for fixes? Or should we move to a different app. This is embarrassing to have our families all on an app that crashes like this or has a calendar view that is so NOT user-friendly.

• Sad 2

47 minutes ago, SMD said:

Marie - Do you know when? New winter season is starting and this calendar view is a real pain on iOS. Or can we roll back to the old app somehow?

Also, on Android phones the app crashes. All families using android reporting the same issues. I have an Android and iOS phone and I can confirm that on Android only, there's an error when you go to the TEAMS icon that says "Error fetching your teams" and then if you click on our SPECIFIC team in the chat section on an android phone, it crashes the whole app. Every parent with an android phone has the same issues. 

Any timetable for fixes? Or should we move to a different app. This is embarrassing to have our families all on an app that crashes like this or has a calendar view that is so NOT user-friendly.

Have your families tried using the feedback in the app to send something to the developers? There's a form for reporting bugs and I got some responses from that occasionally, though not always.

Embarrassing was also how we often described how HQ made our league look to the world during our fall season.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, freezinKT said:

Have your families tried using the feedback in the app to send something to the developers? There's a form for reporting bugs and I got some responses from that occasionally, though not always.

Embarrassing was also how we often described how HQ made our league look to the world during our fall season.

I have posted bug reports. It just compounds the embarrassment to ask any families to file bug reports in hope that some day an app will get better. There are so many other options out there like Team Snap or even GroupMe. It'd be easier to just switch apps at this point unless I knew these fixes were imminent. The season is too short to wait weeks or months for fixes.

Thank you for everyone’s feedback and patience as we have been working to make important updates to the latest SportsEngine mobile app on iOS. Our Mobile Product Team has been working as hard as they can to continue to deliver a better and more consistent experience f

With the release this week, you and your members will see the schedule list view back by popular demand. This view will show your upcoming games and events in a single list view while still giving you the option to view them in the calendar.

Android is set to be released at the beginning of 2024 and will match all of the new updates to iOS. 

image (6) (1).png

• Like 1

Marie Fitzgerald

On 11/28/2023 at 1:40 PM, Marie Fitzgerald said:

Thank you for everyone’s feedback and patience as we have been working to make important updates to the latest SportsEngine mobile app on iOS. Our Mobile Product Team has been working as hard as they can to continue to deliver a better and more consistent experience f

With the release this week, you and your members will see the schedule list view back by popular demand. This view will show your upcoming games and events in a single list view while still giving you the option to view them in the calendar.

Android is set to be released at the beginning of 2024 and will match all of the new updates to iOS. 

image (6) (1).png

Marie - I really appreciate this feedback. I eagerly await the iOS release this week!!  That is SUCH a relief. Thankfully most of our parents are on iOS but for the 25% or so that are on Android...do you have any idea on what may be going on with our specific team crashing their app. I have a second phone which is an android and I can verify that opening up our team causes errors and going to the chat for our team (only) causes the app to crash. The same exact thing happens for all of our Android users. I'm happy to troubleshoot as I have an android phone. Interestingly I have 2 other teams on my SE account for my kids and those teams do NOT crash the app. Just the one team. There's more info here...  https://community.sportsengine.com/topic/1006-sportsengine-app-crashes-on-android-phones/

Marie - regarding the above ^^^ issue on Android only...I rolled back the app and did some troubleshooting and here's what occurs...

ANDROID ONLY:

6.5.7 - Newest Version. Click on TEAMS and it says "Error Fetching Your Teams" and no teams are displayed. Go to the CHAT icon and all 3 of my teams are displayed but if I click on the chat for my basketball team (which I coach) then it crashes the app. This behavior can is consistent with ALL parents with Android phones so it's NOT specific to my phone.

6.0.0 - rolled back to this and no teams showed up. Same with 6.0.1

6.2.0 and two of my 3 teams showed up in the "teams" section (not my basketball team). Progress! In the Chat section all 3 showed up including my basketball team. But clicking on my basketball team in Chat just led to a "Loading" icon that never went away. The other teams don't have issues...but they also don't have an active chat either as those 2 teams don't use the SE app.

6.2.1 - same as 6.2.0

6.3.0 - same issues as the current/latest version of the app. There was the "error fetching teams" issue in the TEAMS icon, and then in chat all 3 teams were there but clicking on my basketball team crashes the app. Again, all parents with Android phones have this issue.

6.5.6 - Just for fun I tried this version and it the behavior is the same as 6.5.7

Edited by SMD
clarity
  • Thanks 1

@SMD - Thank you SO MUCH for your thorough response back, this has been shared with our Product & Engineering team and is helping them to dig into the issue. More to come. 

@Franz.lynn, can you send me what you see on your app? The new iOS release just went live and you should be able to view in a list again like the screenshot attached.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 8.41.28 AM.jpeg

Marie Fitzgerald

1 hour ago, Marie Fitzgerald said:

@SMD - Thank you SO MUCH for your thorough response back, this has been shared with our Product & Engineering team and is helping them to dig into the issue. More to come. 

@Franz.lynn, can you send me what you see on your app? The new iOS release just went live and you should be able to view in a list again like the screenshot attached.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 8.41.28 AM.jpeg

Marie! - Thank you for letting everyone know the update is out. It makes a huge difference to view in Agenda View. So much better. That being said, the app always resets the team's preferred view back to "Day-by-day" view after you leave the schedule. Is there a way to keep it on Agenda view so one doesn't have to go through the extra step every single time? 

Also, thank you for the feedback about the Android version crashing every time. I feel terrible for our Android users so hopefully that's fixed soon. At this point it's almost unusable on that platform. Happy to help troubleshoot if needed. 

14 minutes ago, SMD said:

Marie! - Thank you for letting everyone know the update is out. It makes a huge difference to view in Agenda View. So much better. That being said, the app always resets the team's preferred view back to "Day-by-day" view after you leave the schedule. Is there a way to keep it on Agenda view so one doesn't have to go through the extra step every single time? 

Also, thank you for the feedback about the Android version crashing every time. I feel terrible for our Android users so hopefully that's fixed soon. At this point it's almost unusable on that platform. Happy to help troubleshoot if needed. 

One more thing in addition to my above post that's less of a problem but worth noting...

Clicking on "Standings" for my daughter's team (I'm just the guardian, not the coach) it shows the standings and looks great...but when I click on my son's basketball team (same league BTW...and I'm the coach/admin) and then click on Standings it says "Unable to Load Standings - Team standings data for the current season was unable to be loaded"

Strange that a lot of these issues (crashing and loading errors on Android for this team only) are with my son's basketball team and not the other "teams" I have in my account. Thoughts?

18 minutes ago, SMD said:

One more thing in addition to my above post that's less of a problem but worth noting...

Clicking on "Standings" for my daughter's team (I'm just the guardian, not the coach) it shows the standings and looks great...but when I click on my son's basketball team (same league BTW...and I'm the coach/admin) and then click on Standings it says "Unable to Load Standings - Team standings data for the current season was unable to be loaded"

Strange that a lot of these issues (crashing and loading errors on Android for this team only) are with my son's basketball team and not the other "teams" I have in my account. Thoughts?

Is your son's basketball league by any chance on Season Management instead of Sports Management (you'd have to ask an HQ admin for the league)? Standings and many other app features are not available for Season Management, though we Season Management customers have been promised that they'll be fixed. Although I will say that mostly Season Management customers have reported on the forums that the buttons for the various features are gone, not that they are there and crashing.

I saw a ton of weird interactions between Season Management and the app during our fall season. I was never sure which was the culprit, because Season Management has in general been as buggy as all get out.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, freezinKT said:

Is your son's basketball league by any chance on Season Management instead of Sports Management (you'd have to ask an HQ admin for the league)? Standings and many other app features are not available for Season Management, though we Season Management customers have been promised that they'll be fixed. Although I will say that mostly Season Management customers have reported on the forums that the buttons for the various features are gone, not that they are there and crashing.

I saw a ton of weird interactions between Season Management and the app during our fall season. I was never sure which was the culprit, because Season Management has in general been as buggy as all get out.

I have no idea. But strangely my daughter's team in the same league has NO issues at all. But her coach doesn't use SE app to communicate, etc. I've been able to add/load up pretty much any other team (I tried a dozen inside and outside our league) and when I do things work just fine. It appears, and I may be wrong, that it's just my son's team that has the issues. I did change the logo/icon for the team but outside that I haven't done anything beyond just asking the head of the league to make me admin/coach so I could run the app for our team. I doubt he knows if we're Season or Sports Management but I will ask. Thank you for the suggestion. 

On 11/7/2023 at 5:55 AM, Marie Fitzgerald said:

We will release a list view back into the calendar on the mobile app very soon - appreciate everyone's feedback here!

Please continue to share any insights you have with the Community.

Marie - can they allow users to set the default schedule view to "Agenda View" somehow? Every time you leave the schedule and come back for a specific team it resets to "Day to Day" or full calendar view. The update is great to bring back list/agenda view, but to have it automatically revert back to the old way every time is frustrating.

Also - any progress on fixing the Android app crashing every single time for ALL of our android users on our team? It's just our one boys basketball team that has issues. No other team. The standings don't show for our team (they do on other teams in the app) and the app crashes when ANY Android user clicks on "Chat" for that team. Embarrassing.

Thank you for your time and help

44 minutes ago, SMD said:

Marie - can they allow users to set the default schedule view to "Agenda View" somehow? Every time you leave the schedule and come back for a specific team it resets to "Day to Day" or full calendar view. The update is great to bring back list/agenda view, but to have it automatically revert back to the old way every time is frustrating.

Also - any progress on fixing the Android app crashing every single time for ALL of our android users on our team? It's just our one boys basketball team that has issues. No other team. The standings don't show for our team (they do on other teams in the app) and the app crashes when ANY Android user clicks on "Chat" for that team. Embarrassing.

Thank you for your time and help

You may want to ask whomever in your league has the account manager's contact to reach out directly. Account managers can work with the development team to ensure a timely fix. They are ideal to help you figure out what about that one team is improperly configured to cause these issues.