'Rostering' > 'People' List Inconsistencies

Felzani, Matthew

Has anyone else observed the following:

• The Search only appears to work if you're on the first page of results? If I'm on the first page of results I can search for anyone in the resultset (even those not on the first page); however, as soon as I go beyond the first page of results using the '>' then all Searches return a "No People Found" message
    • And this behavior is consistent regardless of whether I have 25/50/100 set for the number of rows to display per page
  • The data in the 'People' table is inconsistent with the Registration data. For example, I have a Basketball Registration currently open and there are 120 Entries where the 'Entry Status' is 'Active' - when I apply that Filter in the 'Rostering' > 'People' widget I get 120 records which is good; however:
    • 22 of the records are missing the DOB and the Gender shows as 'Unspecified' (even though both are present in the Entry in the Registration). In fact, the 22 display that way even before I add the 'Entry Status' Filter.
    • If I add on a Gender filter, when ...
      • ... only Male is checked I get 57 People (all show as Male)
      • ... only Female is checked I get 41 People (all show as Female)
      • ... both Male and Female are checked I get 120 People and the 22 people that didn't show up in either of the previous resultsets are those from above where the DOB is blank and Gender is 'Unspecified' 
      • ... both Male and Unspecified are checked I get 120 People (some of which are Female)
      • ... both Female and Unspecified are checked I get 120 People (some of which are Male)
      • ... only Unspecified is checked I get 0 People (which is inconsistent with what shows in the table, but consistent with the Registration data)
      • ... all three of Male, Female and Unspecified are checked I get 120 People

So somehow there are 22 people who are neither Male, nor Female, nor Unspecified ... but show up when I check at least two Gender boxes? It's like the logic on the Gender Filter says something like, "if at least two Genders are checked then return all results."

No theory as to why the data's not consistent between the Registration and Season.

30 minutes ago, Felzani, Matthew said:

• The Search only appears to work if you're on the first page of results? If I'm on the first page of results I can search for anyone in the resultset (even those not on the first page); however, as soon as I go beyond the first page of results using the '>' then all Searches return a "No People Found" message
    • And this behavior is consistent regardless of whether I have 25/50/100 set for the number of rows to display per page
  • The data in the 'People' table is inconsistent with the Registration data. For example, I have a Basketball Registration currently open and there are 120 Entries where the 'Entry Status' is 'Active' - when I apply that Filter in the 'Rostering' > 'People' widget I get 120 records which is good; however:
    • 22 of the records are missing the DOB and the Gender shows as 'Unspecified' (even though both are present in the Entry in the Registration). In fact, the 22 display that way even before I add the 'Entry Status' Filter.
      • ... both Male and Female are checked I get 120 People and the 22 people that didn't show up in either of the previous resultsets are those from above where the DOB is blank and Gender is 'Unspecified' 
      • ... both Male and Unspecified are checked I get 120 People (some of which are Female)
      • ... both Female and Unspecified are checked I get 120 People (some of which are Male)
      • ... only Unspecified is checked I get 0 People (which is inconsistent with what shows in the table, but consistent with the Registration data)

So somehow there are 22 people who are neither Male, nor Female, nor Unspecified ... but show up when I check at least two Gender boxes? It's like the logic on the Gender Filter says something like, "if at least two Genders are checked then return all results."

No theory as to why the data's not consistent between the Registration and Season.

And also just realized that the pagination results aren't deterministic. Pretend there are seven records and I'm only showing five per page (which I know is not an option, but for the sake of simplicity): On first display I might see Records: A, B, C, D, E, then on the second page: D, F (why D instead of G?) ... then if I go back to the first page I see A, B, C, E, G (why not the original D instead of G?).

I should mention that I was assigning teams so maybe that had to do with why the resultset pages weren't determinisic?

Edited by Felzani, Matthew

31 minutes ago, Felzani, Matthew said:

I've noticed this as well it's just on the bottom of all the other issues that have arised.  I began noticing these things once Season Management went live, I can only assume its the issue with that.  Even when I specifically remove the the unspecified gender it will still show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t remember the pagination issue when we rostered for fall, but since new bugs crop up I am unsurprised.

The lack of DOB one was an issue for us that we simply worked around, but it annoyed my age division commissioners. They said they resolved a big about this in the August product update, so I was hoping it was fixed.

I note the data you mentioned are “core profile data” and that may impact the data integrity issue? Overall the data integrity is my major complaint with this product. It underlies all other complaints and the fact that the bugs change but don’t disappear is disheartening.

I assume you’ve sent all these via the feedback button? They say that’s the best way to reach the developers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, freezinKT said:

I don’t remember the pagination issue when we rostered for fall, but since new bugs crop up I am unsurprised.

The lack of DOB one was an issue for us that we simply worked around, but it annoyed my age division commissioners. They said they resolved a big about this in the August product update, so I was hoping it was fixed.

I note the data you mentioned are “core profile data” and that may impact the data integrity issue? Overall the data integrity is my major complaint with this product. It underlies all other complaints and the fact that the bugs change but don’t disappear is disheartening.

I assume you’ve sent all these via the feedback button? They say that’s the best way to reach the developers.

I haven't sent stuff via Feedback, but I will. I'm always hopeful that I'm the problem - so using the Forums for vetting that first.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 10:50 AM, Felzani, Matthew said:

I haven't sent stuff via Feedback, but I will. I'm always hopeful that I'm the problem - so using the Forums for vetting that first.

If others get here one tip I got from the Support folks is that the data inconsistencies between the Season and the Registration can be because the data somehow got out-of-sync.

I'm not sure the below advice will work in all situations, but if you: Navigate to the Member Directory and then hit the Filter button, then the second downward chevron you might see some items in italics (keeping the 'Registration' Filter active). If you click on those it should kick off the sync step. That fixed my Data Display issues from my original post, but not the Pagination one.

image.thumb.png.0a18c27c01d8746b57cd5825208a701a.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Felzani, Matthew said:

If others get here one tip I got from the Support folks is that the data inconsistencies between the Season and the Registration can be because the data somehow got out-of-sync.

I'm not sure the below advice will work in all situations, but if you: Navigate to the Member Directory and then hit the Filter button, then the second downward chevron you might see some items in italics (keeping the 'Registration' Filter active). If you click on those it should kick off the sync step. That fixed my Data Display issues from my original post, but not the Pagination one.

image.thumb.png.0a18c27c01d8746b57cd5825208a701a.png

Did you by any chance ask them why their developers haven't written a regular service/job to handle this sync? I understand that "eventual consistency" for data (syncs will eventually happen but things may be temporarily out of sync) is part of how the modern web is built, but that means within minutes typically, not "after a user clicks a button manually for us."

They really expect a LOT of admins to use this system.

12 hours ago, freezinKT said:

Did you by any chance ask them why their developers haven't written a regular service/job to handle this sync? I understand that "eventual consistency" for data (syncs will eventually happen but things may be temporarily out of sync) is part of how the modern web is built, but that means within minutes typically, not "after a user clicks a button manually for us."

They really expect a LOT of admins to use this system.

I did not, but I can as the email thread is still active with @Jessica Christiansen.

And it is weird, right, that the app knows how to show the infraction row in italics, but not to re-sync it on its own?