Anyone Else Finding Scheduling Buggy?

freezinKT

We've tried both manual entering of games and schedule import for games (obviously all 400+ practices had to be one-by-one by hand, or using a browser scripting tool like Selenium to automate a tiny bit - no upload and no recurring events).

Each and every time something has happened that caused a game to get "eaten" by the system. It still exists in the schedule export, on the season microsite, and in any conflict checking. It does not exist on the master schedule in season management scheduling, in the app for families, on TeamCenter, or in any iCal feeds. There is no way to go edit or delete it because it doesn't show up on the season scheduling.

In one case the games were lost because we combined two divisions in order to allow inter-division play (standings not kept for those divisions, so no big deal). In another case a game was lost when a duplicate was created because the location was changed. In a third case we don't even know why the system ate the game - it was part of the upload and my assumption is the upload tool didn't recognize a division or team name, but I didn't do this upload so I'm not 100% sure. The team names and division names look 100% correct in the export where I can see the game.

I can understand how some weird interactions between the system and our scheduling caused these issues, but not the fact that we cannot fix and address them ourselves. If we had access to the division IDs and team IDs as part of some sort of export, or a way to map team aliases and division aliases to names during upload this kind of thing wouldn't happen. If we could see games that the system has eaten in order to fix them, this kind of thing would be manageable.

Are we alone in using the system in such a way that something breaks every time we touch it?

Edited by freezinKT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are having the same issue. We input 75+ games and they all appear on the mini-site and the export, but about 15 of these games are "lost" and don't appear in the back end, so there is no way to edit or delete them, which I need to do because one game just changed. So at this point, we need to tell parents not to rely on anything we posted on the schedule since we need to change a bunch of things but are not able to. 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, wkulicki said:

We are having the same issue. We input 75+ games and they all appear on the mini-site and the export, but about 15 of these games are "lost" and don't appear in the back end, so there is no way to edit or delete them, which I need to do because one game just changed. So at this point, we need to tell parents not to rely on anything we posted on the schedule since we need to change a bunch of things but are not able to. 

So sorry you are having this happen. Maybe I can help you fix some of your problem.

Our workaround is this:

• Manually add lost games (people aren't using the unhelpful microsite anyway - they use TeamCenter, the app, and the master calendar I manually created following instructions similar to what is posted below - maybe these would work for your team instead of the microsite)
  • Set something slightly different about the newly added duplicate games - like 5 minutes shorter in time.
  • Export all games.
  • Figure out the IDs of the eaten games from the export.
  • Ask the development team - via the "Need Help" button in HQ - to delete the eaten games so our export/microsite/conflict checking is cleaned up. I give them the list of IDs I got in the step before to delete so I don't have to describe the games. That's too complex.
  • File a bug report against the whole problem - again.Would love if everyone else backs us up with the bug report part.
  • Like 1

Yes, ours has been buggy as well including such things as:

• Teams mysteriously changing from home team to away team
  • Duplicate games showing up
  • Games disappearing from the schedule but still causing conflicts event though they cannot be found (already mentioned in this thread)
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, bmurn said:

• Games disappearing from the schedule but still causing conflicts event though they cannot be found (already mentioned in this thread)

Did you change the game and then find the duplicate? We had that happen.

1 hour ago, freezinKT said:

Did you change the game and then find the duplicate? We had that happen.

It was one of two things, I either changed the facility and then changed it back, or I deleted it and then added it back, I can't remember which, but now I can't find the duplicate game anywhere.  I need to try your suggestion on exporting the schedule and seeing if it shows up then.

Just now, bmurn said:

It was one of two things, I either changed the facility and then changed it back, or I deleted it and then added it back, I can't remember which, but now I can't find the duplicate game anywhere.  I need to try your suggestion on exporting the schedule and seeing if it shows up then.

Yup, we reported that bug separately from what I mentioned here. You'll see both in the export and you should have a conflict for the teams and possibly location.

On 9/8/2023 at 12:05 PM, bmurn said:

We just had a similar one happen. Game was scored, status changed to "Final" in the app ("Complete" in Schedule and TeamCenter). All good.

Then a day later the game shows up as "In Progress" and disappears from the standings. No human made the change.

• 2 weeks later...

This whole Sports Management thing is a complete mess. Missing games, conflicting games, stats that don't accept "0" as a valid value ( it does not recognize 0 as a valid score from the manage statistics page - it treats it as null), Once you save game stats, you cannot delete them?!

This is more like barely alpha quality. I am extremely angry that SE raised their prices and then delivered this sub-par UX.

• Sad 2

Doing some scheduling today and saw that although Season Management and the embed code still showed games being scheduled after being deleted.    The app did not show them.  Honestly not sure how something can be so buggy, and I think someone thought this up and didn't realize the knowledge or man power behind it.  They wanted to raise prices and used this to justify it smh...  Has anyone actually been able to get someone on the phone cause at this point  I think anyone I reach out to is just typing up a script and barely looks at the complaints even when pictures are provided.

On 9/19/2023 at 5:22 PM, glitters said:

This whole Sports Management thing is a complete mess. Missing games, conflicting games, stats that don't accept "0" as a valid value ( it does not recognize 0 as a valid score from the manage statistics page - it treats it as null), Once you save game stats, you cannot delete them?!

This is more like barely alpha quality. I am extremely angry that SE raised their prices and then delivered this sub-par UX.

I still cant get my stats to work, after seeing this it may be a blessing in disguise.  I refuse to believe there are people working on this and fixing "bugs" as they like to say.  They shouldve waited till 2024 at the earliest before releasing this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, riseatl said:

Doing some scheduling today and saw that although Season Management and the embed code still showed games being scheduled after being deleted.    The app did not show them.  Honestly not sure how something can be so buggy, and I think someone thought this up and didn't realize the knowledge or man power behind it.  They wanted to raise prices and used this to justify it smh...  Has anyone actually been able to get someone on the phone cause at this point  I think anyone I reach out to is just typing up a script and barely looks at the complaints even when pictures are provided.

I talked to someone on the phone. It was one of the help desk guys. He assured me this is a top priority for HQ. I admit that it's...hard to believe at a minimum. He did not have tickets for me to track or meaningful updates. Short of them actually fixing things, more transparency would be useful.

• Sad 1

Also completely frustrated with support... I am a new-ish customer, and this is only my second season using Sports Engine. Right now, during the start of our Travel Season, I don't have a master schedule through Season Management so instead of adding new teams to the master schedule I have to create duplicate events. I wasted an entire day trying to go through the help chat only to wait hours for a generic reply essentially starting over. Honestly, this thread has provided me more relief than anything.  Don't worry - their billing still works so they can take a cut of all of the transactions we produce.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, kmarshall2k said:

Also completely frustrated with support... I am a new-ish customer, and this is only my second season using Sports Engine. Right now, during the start of our Travel Season, I don't have a master schedule through Season Management so instead of adding new teams to the master schedule I have to create duplicate events. I wasted an entire day trying to go through the help chat only to wait hours for a generic reply essentially starting over. Honestly, this thread has provided me more relief than anything.  Don't worry - their billing still works so they can take a cut of all of the transactions we produce.

Are you looking for a public master schedule? There’s a way to do that documented in a thread on this forum, but I will warn you it takes a fair bit of work. For our 40 teams it probably took about 1.5 hours just to get the schedule part. The team pages took additional time.