Registration Late Fees and Waitlist

SnackShackLady

Question

I've seen some posts on this topic but no clear answers.  Here we go:

1. I set up a regular registration sale item and a discount code for early registration.  Is there any way to add a late registration fee to regular registration?  My backup is to manually switch the sale item to late registration on the date specified.
  2. Is there a way to set up a wait list by date?  We don't limit the number of players per division so using the "limit quantity" method only works if we manually input that at the end of regular registration (based on how many we have registered).  It would be nice if we could do it by date.
  • Like 1

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, SnackShackLady said:

1. I set up a regular registration sale item and a discount code for early registration.  Is there any way to add a late registration fee to regular registration?  My backup is to manually switch the sale item to late registration on the date specified.
  2. Is there a way to set up a wait list by date?  We don't limit the number of players per division so using the "limit quantity" method only works if we manually input that at the end of regular registration (based on how many we have registered).  It would be nice if we could do it by date.

We did it all manually this way:

1) A hidden item for waitlisted, yes or no. Defaulted to no.
2) No fees after waitlist at all - pay when you are unwaitlisted. This was done by charging the regular fee plus the late fee in an itemized invoice using sale items. Being rostered to a team required paying…but a person had to track that.

3) On the date of waitlist we flipped the hidden question from a default of no to a default of yes.

This was a lot of work for my treasurer and registrar.

I have only seen one league management system that had a waitlist by date out of many I looked at. Would be a good feature for all of them to add.

• Like 1

I wasn't a fan of the "Discount Code for Ontime Registration" so our Sale Items reflect the regular price and then we have a hidden question that defaults to 'No' and then on the date we want Late Fees to kick in we flip it to "Yes" (and the "Yes" has the 'Late Fee' Sale Item attached to it).

It would also be great if the conditions for the fields could be non-fields. For example, to be able to set the default value for the aforementioned question based on "if today > 9/15/23" as opposed to only using the value of another field in the Registration. Though, thinking about it, I think the conditions only control show/hide as opposed to default values.

We're a small League and across our four sports (Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Flag Football) I don't think we've ever needed to waitlist anyone so can't help there, sorry. That said, I've yet to see a post by @freezinKT which wasn't articulate and well-thought-out so I'm inclined to say his solution is probably a really good one.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 6:38 PM, SnackShackLady said:

Not sure how it works for question 2 but this is what what was suggested to us for number 1.  Have the sale item be the price including the late fee.  Then have auto discount that expires the day late/regular registration starts.  For example:  Registration is $5 late fee is $5 and late registration begins January 1.  So the sale item  will be created for $10 with a auto discount  that ends Dec 31, at 12am.  I've been told they will have a way to set these up in the financials but as with most things in Season management its on the way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, riseatl said:

Not sure how it works for question 2 but this is what what was suggested to us for number 1.  Have the sale item be the price including the late fee.  Then have auto discount that expires the day late/regular registration starts.  For example:  Registration is $5 late fee is $5 and late registration begins January 1.  So the sale item  will be created for $10 with a auto discount  that ends Dec 31, at 12am.  I've been told they will have a way to set these up in the financials but as with most things in Season management its on the way.

Having the Sale item reflect the price including the late fee and then making an automatic discount is like wiping before you poop. It's a solution that "works" using the constraints of the system, but is not a very good solution because (a) it will misrepresent (i.e. - over-inflate) your income generated by those Sale Items (you'll need to peel off all the Discounts to get a more accurate picture), as well as (b) you need to create a discount for every Registration you have so you can control the date and have a tight coupling of the Discount used.

Also, it looks goofy ... a person who registers on-time by ten seconds sees the over-inflated registration cost and then an "early bird" discount?

To each his/her own, but I like what we did much better ... even if it did require me going in and flipping the default value on a specific date.

3 hours ago, Felzani, Matthew said:

Having the Sale item reflect the price including the late fee and then making an automatic discount is like wiping before you poop. It's a solution that "works" using the constraints of the system, but is not a very good solution because (a) it will misrepresent (i.e. - over-inflate) your income generated by those Sale Items (you'll need to peel off all the Discounts to get a more accurate picture), as well as (b) you need to create a discount for every Registration you have so you can control the date and have a tight coupling of the Discount used.

Also, it looks goofy ... a person who registers on-time by ten seconds sees the over-inflated registration cost and then an "early bird" discount?

To each his/her own, but I like what we did much better ... even if it did require me going in and flipping the default value on a specific date.

Yea definitely makes sense, thats just what we eneded up doing.  Hopefully they will add back in the ability to just auto set the early, regular, and late registrations like they had previously. We're a 2 man shop so having to decipher ways to get around a system that should work is very tedious and time consuming.

• Like 1