How to add associated Person object fields on Registration reports?

JasonDLehman

Question

As part of our registration process, we require parents to be logged in and have their player set up as a "Person" in the system.  This seems to work really well so that we don't have to ask the same questions about the player's name, birthdate, etc every season.  It also eliminates mistakes by having a single source of truth for parents and players.

However I have been unable to figure out how to access that data within the registration reports.  There is clearly the "Entry" column that I can click on, which sends me to the detail for that individual registration.  It shows the "SportsEngine Account" (parent name) and "Entry Filled out for (player name), and you can click on either of those to get to the individual person's profile page.  This is helpful if researching one individual registration record, but I cannot figure out how to access the Entry and Person fields to include that info in bulk on the report.

There is also a "Player Profile" checkbox within the "Extra Data" section of the report builder, however all that does is add a column that shows a clickable "Player Profile" link for each registration.  Clicking that changes the text to "No Players Found".

7 answers to this question

So the first part of what you said matches how things work - as you've noticed. Parents log in and create players and add them.

Do you need to be able to click to profiles, or do you want all player data in the default report? To click to player profiles, make sure to include First and Last name on your report and clicking will take you to a player profile.

If you just want the data, change the "Fields" to show all that information in the table/downloadable CSV. Do it following the not-very-detailed instructions here.

Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to access any parent data from the account itself other than email and secondary email. We had to have extra questions for those.

1 hour ago, freezinKT said:

Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to access any parent data from the account itself other than email and secondary email. We had to have extra questions for those.

Yep, that's exactly the issue.  I'm seeking to avoid having to ask the same repetitive questions in every registration, such as parent/player name, since the source of truth for that should be the Player/Parent profiles that are attached to the registration entry.

If I had access to the underlying database, I would imagine this is a simple SQL join to the "People" table to pull that data.  Unfortunately these data elements do not seem to be exposed in the "Fields" section of the report.

Edited by JasonDLehman

13 minutes ago, freezinKT said:

If you're on season management the work-around for a master calendar (cannot filter by facility, but it will show everything) is here:

We're a 600+ player baseball/softball league with over a dozen fields...that workaround won't cut it.  Honestly this is such a fundamental need that I'm baffled that SE hasn't built it yet.  The "Locations" functionality is ultra-rudimentary, and there's no security around it such that any coach can add any field to their schedule, and it shows up on the master list.  Which prevents the ability to flag field conflicts.  I have to continually go in and delete dupes.  Its a ridiculous pain point, and forces us to use a spreadsheet as the ultimate source of truth.  It's crazy.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JasonDLehman said:

We're a 600+ player baseball/softball league with over a dozen fields...that workaround won't cut it.  Honestly this is such a fundamental need that I'm baffled that SE hasn't built it yet.  The "Locations" functionality is ultra-rudimentary, and there's no security around it such that any coach can add any field to their schedule, and it shows up on the master list.  Which prevents the ability to flag field conflicts.  I have to continually go in and delete dupes.  Its a ridiculous pain point, and forces us to use a spreadsheet as the ultimate source of truth.  It's crazy.

Yes, we came from League Athletics so we know what good conflict checking looks like. I've done a pretty comprehensive market survey and while other platforms definitely offer conflict checking that works (and at least one has a very pretty public facing master calendar), none come CLOSE to what League Athletics had in terms of ease of use for a scheduler.

We're a pretty complex softball org also, with over a dozen fields and a similar number of players. I definitely hand entered 40 iCal feeds this fall to make something remotely usable for my families. I was very strongly considering that Google Calendar and Square were easier alternatives somewhere in the middle of our fall season.

26 minutes ago, JasonDLehman said:

Yep, that's exactly the issue.  I'm seeking to avoid having to ask the same repetitive questions in every registration, such as parent/player name, since the source of truth for that should be the Player/Parent profiles that are attached to the registration entry.

If I had access to the underlying database, I would imagine this is a simple SQL join to the "People" table to pull that data.  Unfortunately these data elements do not seem to be exposed in the "Fields" section of the report.

You can consider putting in a feature request through the support chat - not sure how far that will get you.

I don't think they use a relational database. The public API uses GraphQL, so I assume it's a graph database under the hood. One option for you might be to get access to the API and use it, if you're a developer? It will give you all the info you need. Get access to the API following instructions here. API help docs here.

Another option that occurred to me is to use the Members view, add all the registration questions, and filter on "Entry Status" "IS" "Active." You can make a smart group out of it, even. This should give you the player core profile data in one. Parent...I'm not sure about. You may have to make another to get it. Member report overview here. Smart Group report overview here. I made smart groups for all my registrations off of the selected division in our last season. It's pretty powerful.

Edited by freezinKT
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, freezinKT said:

You can consider putting in a feature request through the support chat - not sure how far that will get you.

I don't think they use a relational database. The public API uses GraphQL, so I assume it's a graph database under the hood. One option for you might be to get access to the API and use it, if you're a developer? It will give you all the info you need. Get access to the API following instructions here. API help docs here.

Thanks, I am recalling now that they are using a graph db.  I'm a tech exec now, but used to be a SQL and C# developer (among a few other languages).  I have a to-do to get API access and play around with that...unfortunately have spent too much time coaching lately and not enough on league stuff like this.

Really appreciate the help!  You'll probably see me a lot more active on this forum in the near future as I seek to figure out if SE is our permanent league tool (migration from Sports SignUp Play happened prior to me joining our board) or if I need to evaluate competitors.  Each has its pros and cons, and there's a time cost for switching, so I'm thinking we may be able to get away with supplementing SE with a few integrations (centralized facility calendar + player eval tool are the two big ones for us).   But there are also some annoying bugs that I need to close the loop on...

Just now, JasonDLehman said:

Thanks, I am recalling now that they are using a graph db.  I'm a tech exec now, but used to be a SQL and C# developer (among a few other languages).  I have a to-do to get API access and play around with that...unfortunately have spent too much time coaching lately and not enough on league stuff like this.

Really appreciate the help!  You'll probably see me a lot more active on this forum in the near future as I seek to figure out if SE is our permanent league tool (migration from Sports SignUp Play happened prior to me joining our board) or if I need to evaluate competitors.  Each has its pros and cons, and there's a time cost for switching, so I'm thinking we may be able to get away with supplementing SE with a few integrations (centralized facility calendar + player eval tool are the two big ones for us).   But there are also some annoying bugs that I need to close the loop on...

If you're on season management the work-around for a master calendar (cannot filter by facility, but it will show everything) is here: