Divorced parents, need to add 2 parents to team

Darkinsideme

Question

I have two players with divorced parents, meaning if I want to message out to the team information, only one of the parents is signed up.  Do I need to have Player A with Parent 1 and Player A with Parent 2 to do this (in other words have double the player so that I can have both parents.  

This is a common fact of the current world, having divorced parents or even guardians (ie player lives with a guardian & parent).   In my own account, my two sons have myself and my wife listed as backup, but in modern world, two parents together is not always the case.  

Thoughts?

Thanks

Jim,

The overall SportsEngine messaging system is somewhat flawed, and this issue with estranged parents only makes that more apparent.

Team Admins have very little flexibility in terms of how they can manage their user's access to the messaging system, and it's apparent that this is because of SportsEngine's desire to maintain cross-site access for SportsEngine members.

Even for parents who aren't estranged, it's very difficult for them to follow all the steps necessary to get a spouse to receive emails. Even though it seems like most people should understand how to set up accounts like this in our age of smart phones and computers embedded in just about everything, you'd be surprised how challenged a lot of people are with things like "linking accounts".

We actually had to have a team meeting at my house and have all the parents (one-by-one) log in to their account on my laptop so I could walk them through the process of linking their spouse's account to the primary account. It shouldn't be that hard.

Regarding the estranged parents, a simple workaround would be to set up a custom group at the team page for additional contacts that could include an estranged parent as long as the parent had a SportsEngine account, but that's pretty much useless because custom groups are not visible in the SportsEngine app and the Team Manager interface.

I've been told by our account rep that Development is aware of the shortcomings of the messaging system, and hopefully changes are coming.

But I'm still mystified that something Shutterfly and TeamSnap handles so easily is so difficult for SportsEngine. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that SportsEngine's real strength is creating a modular web framework that's pretty easy to use.

[smile]

Thanks.

@nicolesturgeon you can add any profile to a team page to be able to view it. 

http://help.sportngin.com/customer/portal/articles/619469-how-do-i-give-or-remove-permissions-to-a-member-or-group-#page access

@mcmoyer that does create difficulties, but the linked accounts is the way it's set up to work now. We wouldn't want coaches/managers to give access to individuals/parents who request it but shouldn't have it. Ultimately, a parent/guardian doesn't need to speak to the other (outside of sharing an email address) to link the accounts.

Hi Dark,

You can email both parents at once without having to create another instance of that child. Since, as you said, this is a common scenario, I wrote a Pro Tips article about how this works a few weeks back.

Basically, I showed how multiple Sport Ngin accounts can be linked to a player's subprofile. This requires the first parent linked to the child's account linking another account to that child.

- Loren

Archived