skip navigation

Seven Minutes with Oklahoma State's Kaid Brock

By Andy Hamilton, Trackwrestling, 03/07/18, 12:00PM CST

This is the 55th installment of Seven Minutes. It's a series of interviews with college wrestling's top stars. Most of the question-and-answer sessions last roughly seven minutes. Hence the name.

Oklahoma State All-American Kaid Brock is 22-2 this season at 133 pounds. 

If you could take what you know now and have a conversation with yourself at 15, what advice would you give yourself?

I would probably tell myself to relax and enjoy the little things — like hanging out with certain people in your family, hunting, fishing. Whenever you’re younger, you don’t have as many obligations in life. But mainly, just spending time with my grandparents.

What were your top three schools in recruiting and why did you pick Oklahoma State?

Oklahoma State and that was about it really. Nebraska was an option, but there was never any question about Oklahoma State. It was the only one I gave the time of day.

What’s the most rewarding victory you’ve ever had?

They’re all rewarding. There’s several, but there isn’t any certain one. For instance, when I was a true freshman against Cody Brewer, that one was rewarding. Last year against Cory Clark, that one was rewarding. Back in high school when I was a junior, I had a big match in the state finals and that one was rewarding. There’s so many and they all played different roles in my life, so every match has led me to another step. They’ve all been rewarding in one way or another to me.

If you could take something from someone else in college wrestling’s skill set and add it to your game, what do you think would benefit you most?

I’d say either Nick Piccininni or Zain Retherford’s top skills or a mixture of both.

Let’s say wrestling has one governing body and you’re the president, what would you want to change?

I’d say to try to make the collegiate rules a little bit more like the freestyle rules. I feel like that would help our freestyle rules a little bit. I’m not saying just straight freestyle, but make them a lot more similar.

Take me through your pre-match preparation: What’s the typical size of a last-minute weight cut for you? What do you put in your body after you step on the scale? What do you have pumping through your headphones during your warm-up?

Usually, it’s a last-minute little workout. I’m probably a pound or two pounds over. Right after the weigh-ins I enjoy hot tea, coffee and water, coconut water or put honey in water and shake it up and some fruit and chicken noodle soup or something I can get into my system quick. I don’t really listen to much music before a match. I did when I was younger, but I haven’t in a long time. Country music ain’t really the best thing to listen to before a match.

What’s the last thing you tell yourself before you set your foot on the line?

Let’s get after it or let’s go, let’s roll. It kind of varies, but it’s always something along the lines of: Let’s get it going.

What’s one thing your coach yells that you can hear every time?

Keep pressure.

What’s the strangest thing that’s ever gone through your mind during a match?

Probably a couple times I’ve been really stretched out and limbered up in some positions, maybe a guy got in on a low-single or something and I turned my knee out to re-grab and ankle or something and I’m like, ‘Man, this don’t hurt, but it should.’ I’ve had that thought cross my mind several times.

What’s the most interesting about you that has nothing to do with wrestling?

I’m a country boy and I can survive. I love to bow hunt.

If you could go back and wrestle anybody from any era, who would you want to compete against?

John Smith to see who’s better at elbows.

About Trackwrestling

Trackwrestling.com began as an effort to help tournament managers seed wrestling events, but has since grown to do so much more. Whatever your tournament type, open or pre-defined, freestyle or greco, line bracketing or vertical pairing, youth to collegiate, Trackwrestling can be tailored to meet your needs.

Other Articles by Trackwrestling

Social Media