skip navigation

Chris Collins Shares His Coaching Philosophy

By Positive Coaching Alliance, 03/02/18, 12:00PM CST

Former longtime Duke assistant also worked closely with USA Men's Basketball

Chris Collins (@coach_collins) is the Head Basketball Coach at Northwestern University. 

Before arriving, Collins spent 13 years as an assistant coach for Duke University, where he had starred as a player. He also worked closely with the USA Men's Basketball teams that won Olympic Gold Medals in 2008 and 2012.

Coaching is about developing relationships and getting the most out of players, Collins says. "I used to think it was about X's and O's, but it's about getting a group of athletes buying into one goal to compete as a unit. I believe in this, and that's how I think you get the best results and best relationships with your players."

Positive Coaching Alliance logo

Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA) develops BETTER ATHLETES, BETTER PEOPLE through resources for youth and high school sports coaches, parents, administrators and student-athletes. PCA has partnered with roughly 3,500 schools and youth sports organizations nationwide to deliver live group workshops, online courses and books by PCA Founder Jim Thompson that help those involved in youth and high school sports create a positive, character-building youth sports culture.

Other Articles by Positive Coaching Alliance

• Julie Foudy on Team Culture Adversity

• By Positive Coaching Alliance 05/07/2018, 12:00pm CDT
  • Soccer hall of famer emphasizes the importance of athletes, coaches and administrators explicitly defining their team's culture
  • Read More

Social Media