skip navigation

Seven Minutes with Bryce Meredith

By Andy Hamilton, Trackwrestling, 11/14/16, 10:45AM CST

This is the 24th installment of seven minutes. It's a series of interviews with college wrestling's top stars.

Most of the question-and-answer sessions last roughly seven minutes. Hence the name. Wyoming 141-pounder Bryce Meredith earned All-America honors for the first time last season when he placed second at the NCAA Championships, completing a 29-5 season.

Trackwrestling's Andy Hamilton recently caught up with Meredith.

Let’s say wrestling has one governing body and you’re the president, what would you want to change?

That’s a tough question because one part of me wants to switch everything to freestyle wrestling so we can compete better on the international level, but I also enjoy folkstyle more than freestyle. So that would be something I’d have to sit down with people and discuss and see what we could do on an international level if we started wrestling college wrestling as freestyle and how much that would actually do for our country in the wrestling world. I guess if I was the president that would be the first thing I would change or consider changing.

Take me through your pre-match preparation: What’s the typical size of a last-minute weight cut for you? What do you put in your body after you step on the scale? What do you have pumping through your headphones during your warm-up?

Normally, I try to come in a pound over and use that to help my warm-up and get that pound off. I don’t cut that much weight, so I try not to make that a big part of my wrestling game; I don’t like the mental stress it causes.

Normally, after weigh-ins, I try to eat oatmeal because it’s pretty easy to digest and it’s pretty quick carbs. I normally go with oatmeal and some pedialyte and I always drink some coffee before I wrestle. I put cream in it. I love the sugar and the warmth it has and all the caffeine.

What I have pumping through my headphones is most likely rap music. I like music that makes me feel good. I like going in the room and almost jumping around and messing with people. I don’t like getting too serious. But there’s also a time where I get a little more serious. Ultimately, I just try to feel good and enjoy the process. Cutting weight ruins that. Being too serious ruins that. I really just try to enjoy myself.

What’s the last thing you tell yourself before you set your foot on the line?

Normally, I say I’m the best in the world. I got that from Jon “Bones” Jones. There’s videos of him where he warms up and runs around in a hallway and yells, ‘I’m the World champ’ and goes crazy. I try to take that mindset. Even though we’re not competing for a World title, I’m competing for a national title and that’s what’s pumping through my head — that I’m truly the best in the country.

What’s one thing your coach yells that you can hear every time?

Be a threat.

What’s the strangest thing that’s ever gone through your mind during a match?

I thought of text signatures. I don’t know if you remember that. Back when I was in junior high and I first got a cell phone, you’d have a text signature. I remember in a match, for the weirdest reason, I thought of that. Then I got off the mat and I was like, ‘Guys, do you remember text signatures?’ Everybody was like, ‘What are you talking about? Why are you talking about that?’ I don’t know why that flew through my head during the middle of the match that we used to have text signatures.

If you could go back and re-wrestle any match, which would it be and why?

Of course, the national championship. No other match really ever matters. Before that, I won my state titles. If I could go back and re-wrestle a match it would be last year at Madison Square Garden. There are certain positions and things that fly through my mind all the time and I’m like, ‘Dang, if I had done this different, would it have changed the outcome?’ You just play those what-ifs all the time. That would be an awesome match to go back and redo and win.

What’s the most interesting about you that has nothing to do with wrestling?

Something weird about me is I eat a bowl of cereal in the bathtub almost every night. I guess that would be a pretty weird fact. I just put on some music, get a bowl of cereal, take a bath and have some down time.

What’s your greatest fear?

My greatest fear is not being there for my family. Everything else doesn’t quite matter as much as keeping the family close. I get real selfish with my time chasing my goals and being away with college and being busy and always tired and stuff. I catch myself not really talking to them or not sending out texts a lot, but that’s ultimately my biggest fear — laying on my deathbed and saying I wasn’t there enough for the people who were there for me the most.

We’re trying something different with the last part of the series. We’re giving every wrestler the opportunity to ask a question to the next guy we interview. Iowa’s Brandon Sorensen asked: What’s your favorite place to travel to for a dual and why?

I had a great time when we went to OU and stayed in the Bricktown area (in Oklahoma City). It’s a nice area, but this year we get to go to Cal Poly and I’ve heard that’s an awesome place to go.

Do you have anything for the next guy?

What’s the food and drink you crave the most when you’re cutting weight?