skip navigation

Seven Minutes with Dylan Peters

By Andy Hamilton, TrackWrestling, 10/12/16, 1:30PM CDT

This is the 18th installment of seven minutes. It's a series of interviews with college wrestling's top stars.

Most of the question-and-answer sessions last roughly seven minutes. Hence the name. Northern Iowa's Dylan Peters earned All-America honors for the second time last season when he placed sixth at the NCAA Championships at 125 pounds, completing an 18-4 season. He takes a 75-18 career record into his senior season with the Panthers. 

Trackwrestling's Andy Hamilton recently caught up with Peters. 

Let’s say wrestling has one governing body and you’re the president, what would you want to change?

I’d work to make it more of an offensive sport. I think a lot of guys find ways to win by just playing the game, playing the edge, not looking to do much, just wrestling top and bottom. I think we need to encourage takedowns and going and taking risk. Maybe make takedowns worth more.

Take me through your pre-match preparation: What’s the typical size of a last-minute weight cut for you? What do you put in your body after you step on the scale? What do you have pumping through your headphones during your warm-up?

I like to be no more than two (pounds over). I sweat pretty good, so if I’m at two, it’s not too hard to take it off. After weigh-ins, I usually drink some Kombucha, have a cold lunch-meat sandwich and some fruit. I don’t really listen to music. I try to stay relaxed and focus on each match the same way and don’t overthink it depending on who it is. You’ve got to go and wrestle the same match every single time.

What’s the last thing you tell yourself before you set your foot on the line?

Stay relaxed. Nothing overwhelms you.

What’s one thing your coach yells that you can hear every time?

I’ll hear Doug (Schwab) yell: ‘Relax’ or ‘be calm’ so I’m not getting too worked up about what’s happening.

What’s the strangest thing that’s ever gone through your mind during a match?

I don’t know that I have anything. Usually, when I’m out there I’m pretty much focused on the task at hand. I know it’s a boring answer, but I try to stay level-headed and focus on what’s in front of me. I don’t like to let my mind wander.

If you could go back and re-wrestle any match, which would it be and why?

I’d like to have a couple back. I’d like to have my MAC championship match back (against Missouri’s Barlow McGhee) just because I don’t think I prepared or came in with a strategy very well.

What’s the most interesting about you that has nothing to do with wrestling?

I love to fish. Usually, that’s all I’m doing with my spare time — I’m out fishing with (former teammate) Blaize (Cabell) or fishing with somebody on the team.

What’s your greatest fear?

Heights.

We’re trying something different with the last part of the series. We’re giving every wrestler the opportunity to ask a question to the next guy we interview. Princeton’s Brett Harner asks: If you could pick any historical time period to live in, what would it be and why?

I always tell my friends that I think it would be cool to go back to when it was all just about surviving. I’d say the 1900s because everything would have to be earned and you were out just trying to survive.

About Trackwrestling

Trackwrestling.com began as an effort to help tournament managers seed wrestling events, but has since grown to do so much more. Whatever your tournament type, open or pre-defined, freestyle or greco, line bracketing or vertical pairing, youth to collegiate, Trackwrestling can be tailored to meet your needs.

Other Articles by Trackwrestling

Social Media