skip navigation

Celebrating the Heritage of Wooden Sticks

By Kira Muller, US Lacrosse, 05/08/19, 12:00PM CDT

Bill finds the sticks on eBay, recycling their usefulness by establishing a connection between today’s players and the roots of lacrosse.

Bill Allen of Ace Lacrosse has always had a love affair with wooden sticks. He has sticks in his collection from the Onondaga and Mohawk nations, and from legendary stick makers Alf Jacques and Wes Patterson. He took his old high school stick to Lake Placid and a member of the Mohawks restrung it for him.

"I always used leather. More feel," he said.

Allen, who went to high school with Denver head coach Bill Tierney, started Wooden Sticks Day at Palm Beach Central School in Palm Beach, Fla., in support of the Keeper of Lacrosse Project and the sport’s Native American roots.

"The kids loved it," Allen said. "They had a blast throwing and catching with these old wooden sticks with leather, even though the only sticks they’re used to have big pockets and are mesh. I used to break the wooden sticks out at camps and let the campers use them when we scrimmaged, but they take too much of a beating."

Bill finds the sticks on eBay, recycling their usefulness by establishing a connection between today’s players and the roots of lacrosse.

He also shares the stories and the history of the sport, as he did at a practice earlier this year.

"I reviewed the timeline of the origins and tribes," Aleen said. "And finally read my favorite story of the birds and animals. Then the kids wanted me to give them animal names. So throughout the practice I named them all."

US Lacrosse logo

US Lacrosse is the sport's national governing body and provides national leadership, structure and resources to fuel the sport's growth and enrich the experience of participants. For more information on US Lacrosse, check out the links below.