skip navigation

What Playing Lacrosse for Team USA Means

By Brian Logue, US Lacrosse, 12/27/17, 12:00PM CST

"It means the world to me. The players and coaches are outstanding people. It's an endless learning experience."

The 48 players on the U.S. Men’s National team battling for the 23 spots on the final roster that will compete in the 2018 Federation of International Lacrosse Men’s World Championship have one final chance to make their case — the Team USA Spring Premiere at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., on Jan.6.

It’s a daunting tryout process that began three years ago and revved up intensity this past summer. But it’s one the players are willing to go through because of what representing their country in the sport they love means to them. We asked the players just what exactly wearing that Team USA uniform means. Here are some of our favorite responses.

Jake Froccaro
In my opinion, there is no honor in this sport better than playing for team USA and proudly representing our nation. It means the world to me to wear red, white and blue.

Michael Manley
It’s an absolute honor and blessing to be considered. I cherish every opportunity when wearing USA.

Will Manny
It means everything to me. When I moved into the lacrosse profession full time (coaching college / paying MLL) this is what I was working for. I am the only person in my family to have played a college sport and moving to this stage of my lacrosse career representing the USA, is a dream come true.

Tom Schreiber
Everything. It's the pinnacle of the sport and an opportunity to play with and against the best players in the world at the highest stage.

Jesse Bernhardt
It is humbling and an honor to represent for Team USA. The amount of people who dream to represent Team USA and to be one of the few who has the opportunity to do so is amazing. There are a lot of people out there that represent the United States doing a lot more important things than just playing lacrosse, but to throw on the jersey and represent them is something special.

Rob Pannell
Playing for Team USA allows us, as players, to give back to our country and represent those who allow us to lead our lives the way in which we want. For me, playing for Team USA is everything. It’s not about winning or losing, you or the guy next to you. It’s about you giving your very best while wearing red white and blue and represent the USA in the best way possible. Growing up, with the professional league not started yet, Team USA was the pinnacle of our sport and still is today. It’s an honor and a privilege and something that can never be taken for granted.

John Galloway
Playing for Team USA means that I can look back on my career some day and know that I played it with passion and a fire in my heart. That is the only way you will have the chance to wear the red, white and blue.

Connor Buczek
It means representing the entire lacrosse playing community in the USA. It would be an incredible honor to have the opportunity to represent, and hopefully make proud, such a strong and diverse constituency that has given a lot to me personally.

Paul Rabil
It means the world to me. The players and coaches are outstanding people. It's an endless learning experience.

Brian Phipps
Representing thousands of other players in our country that dream of doing this.

Greg Gurenlian
Everything.

US Lacrosse logo

US Lacrosse is the sport's national governing body and provides national leadership, structure and resources to fuel the sport's growth and enrich the experience of participants. For more information on US Lacrosse, check out the links below.