skip navigation

Tournament organizer thrives as free agent

By Loren Nelson, 09/05/17, 11:15AM CDT

Scott Carter has enjoyed instant success running youth baseball tournaments in central Georgia

Webmaster of the Week: September 4-10

Name:

Scott Carter

Site:

Out of the Park Tournaments

Position:

Director

Use of platform:

Registration, Sitebuilder, Tourney

Background:

Carter, who grew up in Macon, Georgia, and attended Southwest High School, was serving as president of a local youth baseball league when he noticed the tournaments being run out of his league’s park, to put it politely, showed room for improvement in terms of planning and organization. “If the guy running those tournaments could be successful at it, I was sure I could be, too,” Carter said. Carter joined forces with United States Specialty Sports Association Baseball and for years became the go-to guy for hosting youth baseball tournaments throughout central Georgia. Last year Carter retired from his role with the USSSA and began offering tournaments on his own, partnering with SportsEngine to help run the technology side of his new organization, Out of the Park Tournaments. “I not only survived the first year, but came out pretty good, considering people had to find me,” Carter said. “I was only down about 10 percent in team numbers.”

What he does:

Carter says he makes a point of staying in contact with league administrators and coaches, promoting his tournaments to whomever might be interested. He uses texts, social media and his website to keep teams updated and interested. On the website, he created a “Who’s Coming” tab in the top navigation that directs viewers to a page that, as promised, lists which teams are coming to which upcoming tournaments. Carter uses the Survey Report page element, which automatically displays team registration information. “Getting your first four teams is the hardest part, from there on it is pretty easy,” Carter said. “Coaches want to know a division has four teams before they get in.” Carter created a Fall Tournaments 2017 page using Table Builder page elements that list all of his upcoming events with tournament name, dates, location, number of days and a link to enter. Registration pages all have links to the location of the tournament, Who’s Coming information and the tournament’s schedule.

Making his mark:

Carter uses SportsEngine’s Tourney to manage all aspects of his tournaments, making it simple to schedule games and post scores – and quickly push that information out to coaches, players and parents.

Fun fact:

Carter sold automobile parts for many years before jumping into the youth baseball tournament business. He also owns a home painting company that employs 13.

Loren Nelson Headshot

About Loren Nelson

Loren Nelson is Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Connect with Loren Nelson

Loren's Social Media Contacts