Wrestling club embraces online registration

06/05/2017, 6:00am CDT
By Loren Nelson

Webmaster of the Week: June 5-11

Name: Shelly Marino

Site: Edwardsville Wrestling Club                          

Position: Administrative assistant, webmaster

Use of platform: Dibs, PowerPay, Registration, Sitebuilder

Background: Marino worked an eclectic mix of jobs (chemist, teacher and real estate agent) before settling in as the administrative assistant at Edwardsville Wrestling Club for the last 2-plus years. “I like that there is so much that can be done to make it easier for everybody,” said Marino, who, early in her tenure suggested the club move onto the SportsEngine platform. “I said, ‘I don’t mean to be picky, but I can not work with this,’ ” she said about about the club’s old platform. “They told me, ‘Well, see what you can find.’ ” Marino grew up just north of St. Louis in southern Illinois, where she attended Civic Memorial High School in Bethalto. She played softball as a kid, and as an adult, and only recently retired from a player/manager rec league role. As a high schooler she was on the dance team for four years. She attended Blackburn College in nearby Carlinville, Illinois, where she earned a degree in biology and chemistry.

What she does: “I, by nature, like to help people,” Marino said. “And I am a parent myself. When I can’t find something, I go and look for everything online.” Marino said there are about 200 kids ranging in age from 5 to 14 in the club each year. “We are open to anybody in the school district,” she said. “We train them up so they will be ready at the high school level.” Marino has led the transition from paper to online registration, a process that has saved her dozens of hours of work. “Before, I would have to enter all 200 kids’ registration information manually,” she said. “I said, ‘This is craziness.’ ” Marino has worked to update and add content to the About section on the club’s website. The Why Wrestling page outlines the benefits of wrestling, and the About section also includes information on the booster club and a records section loaded with overall statistics leaders and year-by-year win-loss records and individual accomplishments.

Making her mark: Marino uses PowerPay to create invoices for cash payments. “We still handle a lot of cash, and it helps our controls,” she said. “Now we have everything that we receive in cash recorded.”

Fun fact: The Edwardsville Wrestling Club was established in 1970 by Jon Davis, a teacher and coach. His impact on wrestling in the community was so great the club’s facility, the Jon Davis Wrestling Center, is named after him.

Discuss on the Community Forum  //  Share or Tweet
    Loren Nelson

About the Author

Loren Nelson is the Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Email Loren a Comment or Idea

Tag(s): Webmaster of the Week