Baseball site cranks up the heat

05/15/2017, 4:00am CDT
By Loren Nelson

Webmaster of the Week: May 15-21

Name: Daniel Neppl

Site: Glenview Blaze Baseball

Position: Webmaster

Use of platform: Registration, Sitebuilder

Background: Neppl grew up on a farm in northwest Iowa, close enough to Minnesota for him to become a Minnesota Twins fan. “My dad would take us kids to the old Metropolitan Stadium,” Neppl said. “My favorite player growing up was Rod Carew.” Neppl attended St. Edmond Catholic School in Fort Dodge, Iowa, where he was one of 85 students in his graduating class. He played on the baseball team but insists he was far from being a standout. “I played, frankly, because they couldn’t get nine kids,” Neppl said. “I had all the desire and none of the talent. But I loved it.” He attended the University of Iowa and earned his law degree from Creighton University.

What he does: Neppl previously scheduled more than 1,000 games each season for the Chicago-area’s Mid Suburban Baseball League. That experience using SportsEngine technology led him to offer a few suggestions for how Glenview Blaze Baseball, which consists of five travel teams ranging in age from 10U to 14U, could better utilize the platform. Shortly thereafter, he he found himself running the Blaze’s website, although he insists he has no formal title with the organization. “I’m just a dad of one the kids,” he said. Neppl said he became fluent using SportsEngine’s platform by watching Help Center tutorial videos. “I think they explain almost everything,” he said. “That’s really how I learned.” His creative use of the platform’s page elements can be seen on the Blaze’s homepage, where he combined the tab element with the new slideshow to help viewers more easily page through the site’s abundance of content.

Making his mark: Pulling information from Google maps, Neppl used a combination of the code, single photo and venue page elements to create a Fields page that guides parents to the six venues in Chicago’s North Shore area used by the Blaze.

Fun Fact: As listed on the site’s Quick Facts page, the Blaze’s 12U teams participate each season in a tournament in New York at Cooperstown Dreams Park.

Discuss on the Community Forum  //  Share or Tweet
    Loren Nelson

About the Author

Loren Nelson is Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Email Loren a Comment or Idea

Tag(s): Webmaster of the Week