Softball thirst quenched in Port Orange

05/01/2017, 1:00am CDT
By Loren Nelson

Webmaster of the Week: May 1-7

Name: Shane Bartholomew

Site: Port Orange Lady Panthers

Position: Director of Player/Organizational Development

Use of platform: PowerPay, Registration, Sitebuilder

Background: Forget about the 1,000 or so miles, Philadelphia to Florida’s Atlantic Coast might as well be Earth to Saturn. Shane Bartholomew was just a kid when he made the trip south, permanently relocating from the City of Brotherly Love to the beachside city of Port Orange. “I moved here when I was 14, and I’ve been here ever since,” said Bartholomew, who is extending his Florida roots by, along with his wife Joelle, raising their three children ranging in age from 12 to 16. Bartholomew was a regular participant in Port Orange’s Park and Recreation programs as a kid, and these days he’s aligned with the city again, only now as the co-founder of the fast-growing Port Orange Lady Panthers Fastpitch softball program. Bartholomew and co-founder Mike Belus started the organization three years ago with one team. This year they have four teams ranging in age from 10U to 16U.

What he does: The steady growth in the program forced Bartholomew to look for ways to simplify running it (creating as much visibility and efficiency as possible was his goal), and he chose SportsEngine as his technology partner about a year ago. “Holy cow, the money part of it is so much easier,” he said. “Now I am not ever chasing any player or parent down for money.” Bartholomew uses Registration to collect seasonal player fees and PowerPay to bill for the additional costs of tournaments. Bartholomew said a friend through a local church designed the home page banner and background, “The cover page is definitely attractive,” he said. Bartholomew set up the About Us section of the site to list the organization’s directors and coaching. The Mission page also spells out the club’s goals and philosophy, coach commitments and player expectations.

Making his mark: Bartholomew is in charge of scheduling and said he recently built the entire practice and tournament schedules for all four teams through Sept. 1. “And it took me less than an hour to do it,” he said.

Fun fact: See that player with her back turned to the camera in the photo at the bottom of the Mission page? Yes, that uniform No. 3 happens to belong to Bartholomew’s daughter, Noelle.

Discuss on the Community Forum  //  Share or Tweet
    Loren Nelson

About the Author

Loren Nelson is the Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Email Loren a Comment or Idea

Tag(s): Webmaster of the Week