New York Soccer Club hits refresh button

02/13/2017, 2:15am CST
By Loren Nelson

Webmaster of the Week: February 13-19

Name: Chris Fresco

Site: New York Soccer Club

Position: Media & Operations

Use of platform: Registration, Sitebuilder, Verify

Background: Fresco grew up in Washington state and lived in the Carolinas before moving to the New York City area with his wife, Amber. “I’ve been hitting all corners of the country,” Fresco said with a laugh. “I guess next up is Southern California.” A graduate of Kamiak High School just north of Seattle, Fresco went on to the University of Washington where he earned a degree in geography. He’s played and coached at almost all levels, and he served as the Academy Director of Coaching for Liverpool FCA – South Carolina before joining the New York Soccer Club. Fresco never has had formal training as a web designer or content manager, but he said he took a few website classes in college and sharpened his writing skills while working for a research group at Duke University. “If I had to code this site from scratch, Lord help me,” Fresco said. “To be fair, I have been copying and pasting code (using the code page element).”

What he does: Fresco initially joined the New York Soccer club as a coach, and he still coaches the U-13 and U-18 boys teams while also helping train the U-12 boys. Fresco took over as the club’s media and operations director last summer, and by October he and programs director Noah Ross were in discussions to move onto the SportsEngine platform. After getting approval from the club’s board of directors for a switch that included a custom design, the new New York Soccer Club site officially went live on Jan. 29. Fresco’s wide-ranging involvement with the new site includes everything from overseeing the creation of all the club’s registration sessions to writing a steady stream of news releases. “I’ve been wearing many hats,” Fresco said. “I’m excited to get away from the hand delivering of flyers and the paper registrations where the families have to mail it in.” Fresco created an About section that includes a Philosophy page that lists the club's core values, culture, style of play philosophy and identity. The Facilities page includes a Google map that shows the location of all 15 facilities used by the club, which was founded in 2009 and is based in Westchester, New York, and has about 14 boys teams and 25 girls teams. The Pathway section on the site includes an Alumni page that lists New York Soccer Club players who have moved on to collegiate, professional or international clubs.

Making his mark: Fresco said the club regularly receives inquiries from players hoping to join its teams. To create a more formalized tryout process, Fresco oversaw the creation of a prospective player form in the Tryouts section that uses SportsEngine’s Registration software. The registration does not require a SportsEngine account, making it easy for prospective players to plug in basic information (name, email, birthdate, gender) as well as answer questions about goals and objectives and what the player loves most about the game. The registration also includes an area to upload video footage of the player in a game or training. “We already we have had 20 kids fill it out in under a week,” Fresco said. “We’ve already brought out a couple of kids to a couple of tryouts. It has been pretty seamless so far.”

Discuss on the Community Forum  //  Share or Tweet
    Loren Nelson

About the Author

Loren Nelson is Community Manager at Sport Ngin. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Email Loren a Comment or Idea

Tag(s): Webmaster of the Week