Reluctant webmaster makes crucial info easy to find

12/19/2016, 2:15am CST
By Loren Nelson

Webmaster of the Week: December 19-25

Name: David Alberti

Site: Park Valley United FC

Position: Competitive director of coaching, webmaster

Use of platform: Dibs, Registration, Sitebuilder

Background: Alberti has been playing and coaching soccer in Minnesota since he was old enough to boot a ball. He played at Eden Prairie High School and at the club level at St. Cloud State University. His coaching career began while he was still in college, when he served as an assistant for the St. Cloud Tech High School girls’ team. He eventually took over as head coach of the Tigers’ program, and he went on to coaching positions at Twin Cities-area high schools Robbinsdale Armstrong and Academy of Holy Angels. Alberti was serving as an assistant women’s coach at St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota, when he decided his schedule was too crazy to maintain. “My schedule was ridiculous - there were too many conflicts,” said Alberti, adding he was missing too much time with his family. “I wanted to go watch my kids play.” He’s been the Competitive Director of Coaching for Park Valley United, a club serving several suburbs west of Minneapolis, for the last two years.

What he does: Consider Alberti as something of a reluctant webmaster. He said the club previously used a combination of parents and other volunteers as part-time webmasters, with unsatisfactory results. “I’m very particular about how certain things get done, and we weren’t getting it done,” Alberti said. “So I said, ‘You know what, I’ll do it.’ ” Park Valley United switched to a mobile responsive theme more than a year ago, then completed a rebranding project late last summer. The club now makes a stunning first impression to parents visiting the new and improved site for the first time. “Our front page is our biggest thing on our website,” Alberti said. “I’ve always believed that how you portray yourself on your website is how you portray your organization. We want to portray ourselves as being professionally run.” The new website design includes three Call to Action page elements at the top of the home page. “Those were huge for us,” Alberti said. “You can always have your most important and urgent things easy to find front and center at the top of the website.” Alberti said he got the idea for the My Role section of the site from the nearby Edina Soccer Club. Within the section are pages devoted to coaches, team managers, parents and referees. Now, instead of a long, running page with an endless scroll of text, information is divided into more digestible portions based on roles within the club. “We’ve noticed a large decrease in email questions about basic programming,” Alberti said.

Making his mark: Alberti uses the Tab Element on several pages to further organize content. As an example, on the Manager page, he has created tabs titled Rescheduling Games, Scheduling Tool, Team Calendar Instructions and Sending Emails From Team Page.

Discuss on the Community Forum  //  Share or Tweet
    Loren Nelson

About the Author

Loren Nelson is the Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Email Loren a Comment or Idea

Tag(s): Webmaster of the Week