skip navigation

Google AdWords for non-profits

09/28/2016, 7:45am CDT
By Jim Dahline

This being my first year on the board of my local youth hockey organization, I'm definitely learning a lot. Sure, I've got experience in marketing, and I was a shoe-in to be tasked with being our webmaster, but there's a ton I'm still learning. One of the first things I did was research programs for non-profits to help us get organized outside of our sports life management software. One of the great programs I ran across was Google Ad Grants.

I've had experience using AdWords in the past for getting new customers, but I didn't really think it was going to be something that would work out for our hockey association. After reading about the benefits, it was a no-brainer to try it out. I've listed some of the benefits below.

Google Ad Grants

1. Free to enroll for qualified 501(c)3 non-profits
  2. Up to $10,000 in in-kind AdWords advertising PER MONTH
  3. Simple to use (really, it is painless and easy)

Confirm eligibility

The first thing you should do is some easy reading about the program and see if your non-profit qualifies. You can get full details here and, if you're eligible, apply to the program.

Google Ad Grants Process

Build an Ad Calendar

Before this scares you off, don't make it more than it is. Think of the "events" your organization has throughout the year and put them in a list. Program registration opening, tournament(s) registration dates, clinic registration . . . you get the picture. This will just help you set up your ad campaigns -- a little thought ahead of time will go a long way. 

Caption for this image here

Create landing pages

You'll need to include a url in your ads and they should be related to your ad. An ad for "Register Now" should go to a page for registration. An ad for "Learn more about Local Hockey" should go to a page talking about hockey. These are simple to build in Sitebuilder.

Caption for this image here

Learn More

SportsEngine can help you grow your organization. Learn more by scheduling a chat with a SportsEngine expert through our Get Started form: sportsengine.com/get-started

Tag(s): Pro Tips