Webmaster counts Bonds, Brady among fellow alumni

08/15/2016, 1:00am CDT
By Loren Nelson

Webmaster of the Week: August 15-21

Name: Jeff Cook

Site: Folsom National Little League

Position: Coach, player agent, webmaster

Use of platform: Dibs, League, Registration, Sitebuilder

Background: Cook hails from the Bay Area, and his claim to fame is graduating from the same high school (Junipero Serra in San Mateo) that has produced a couple of somewhat successful pro athletes in Barry Bonds and Tom Brady. While Cook didn’t have a Hall of Fame athletic career, he did play baseball and was a member of the rowing team for the Padres. He attended the University of California Davis near Sacramento where he concentrated on his studies (earning a degree in communications) while forgoing sports. “It was never a goal to play in the pros, unlike my son,” Cook said about 10-year-old Will, a first baseman just like his dad. Will, it should be noted, is among the players featured along the outside edge of the Folsom National Little League website. He’s the grinning slugger wearing mirrored sunglasses (just like his dad). The old site used stock images in the background. “For the longest time when I looked at the old site I thought that must have been an old field in the background, because I didn’t recognize it,” he said. “And I looked at the players and thought, ‘Who is that kid?’ Then I saw another baseball site and noticed the same players were on that one, too.”

What he does: Folsom, a Sacramento suburb, has two Little Leagues (National and American), and Cook grew weary of hearing about the functionality that was available on the neighboring American platform but not on National’s old offering. “There's definitely a friendly rivalry in town in everything we do, including the website,” he said. “I was tired of hearing, ‘On the Folsom American site, they can do this, this and this.’ Now, they get to hear that about us.” Cook is using Dibs to help parents manage their required volunteer shifts in the snack bar, and he’s excited to get the League functionality fully up and running next spring. The site launched in July, and parents are already using Registration for National’s Fall Ball league. In the Resources section, he created separate Coaches, Parents and Umpires pages.

Making his mark: One of the site’s main sections is the Home Run Club, where Cook has logged every home run hit dating back to 2013. He used the Table Builder to list the home runs in chronological order for each season. He also has tables that list the number of home runs hit by each team each season and individual season leaders.

Discuss on the Community Forum  //  Share or Tweet
    Loren Nelson

About the Author

Loren Nelson is the Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Email Loren a Comment or Idea

Tag(s): Articles  Webmaster of the Week