Soccer webmaster eliminates information overload

07/25/2016, 12:30am CDT
By Loren Nelson

Webmaster of the Week: July 25-31

Name: Kathy Belles

Site: Legacy

Position: Director of Business Operations

Use of platform: Registration, Sitebuilder

Background: Belles grew up in Simi Valley, California, where she was a softball pitcher and first baseman. She got her bachelors degree from the the University of Texas and worked for Motorola for 11½ years, first as a technician and later as an engineer. She transitioned into real estate and earned a masters degree in elementary education, eventually becoming an elementary school teacher. She took a full time position with Legacy last June, and the youngest of her three children plays on one of the club’s 19U girls’ teams. “I absolutely love my job,” Belles said. “I get to work with kids and families, which is similar to what I did as a teacher.”

What she does: Belles helped helped the club, which has more than 3,000 kids in its recreational program to make it one of the biggest in the Phoenix area, to not only transition to a new technology platform (Legacy launched on SportsEngine in mid-May) but also re-brand itself after formerly being named San Tan Soccer Club. Her initial goal was to reduce information overload for parents. “The biggest complaint we heard was there was too much information, and that nobody could find anything,” she said. “So we started over from scratch.” The reorganization and restructuring of the site’s information was a project that stretched for several 12-hour-plus workdays for Belles. “Luckily for the club I am a workaholic,” she said with a laugh. She used a combination of tab elements, links, and tables to help guide viewers to various sections. As an example, the Resources landing page has links with descriptions to pages such as Age Matrix, Coaches’ Corner, Managers’ Corner, Referees’ Corner, Field Information and more. “I think as I recall that was one long, huge page,” she said. “Nobody was going to scroll down to read all of it.” The Managers’ Corner page includes a section outlining important dates, a team operation manual, website training slides, important links to other sites and links to multiple documents. Belles, who builds the club’s registrations herself, also set up individual pages for all of the clubs directors and coaches.

Making her mark: On the Team Webpage FAQ page, Belles created a “How do I … ?” section that has instructions and site-specific screenshots that explains in detail how to accomplish 18 tasks.

Discuss on the Community Forum  //  Share or Tweet
    Loren Nelson

About the Author

Loren Nelson is the Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Email Loren a Comment or Idea

Tag(s): Webmaster of the Week