Minnesota hockey site has special look, content

06/27/2016, 1:15am CDT
By Loren Nelson

Webmaster of the Week: June 27-July 3

Name: Jared Wieseler

Site: Minnesota Special Hockey

Position: Webmaster, Marketing Coordinator

Use of platform: League, Registration, Sitebuilder

Background: Wieseler has served as a volunteer since he was a kid growing up in Yankton, South Dakota. He filled multiple roles for the Roger Haas charity basketball tournament in his hometown, doing everything from sweeping floors to serving as a site director overseeing all aspects of the event. Wieseler played high school golf and basketball growing up, but his only exposure to hockey came while watching the Stanley Cup Finals each spring. He developed a passion for the game while attending St. Cloud State University. “Hockey is the No. 1 sport there, but I didn’t really get into it the first season,” Wieseler said. “I went to a handful of games. Then something clicked. It made me super excited to get involved in the game somehow.” He dove headfirst into hockey, and re-started his lifelong volunteering career, by joining Minnesota Special Hockey six years ago. He took over as the organization’s webmaster more than a year ago, moving it onto a responsive template on the Sport Ngin platform. “Little did I know how involved I was going to end up being with the website,” Wieseler said. “Every year we’ve gotten more and more serious about having this awesome program.”

What he does: Wieseler has been relentless in his quest to create an easy-to-navigate site with a standout design and constant flow of high level content. “The basic goal I set out to accomplish was having something that was simple, easy to navigate,” he said. “Where  you just weren’t overwhelmed with a ton of information.” Wieseler used templates to create custom team pages for each of Minnesota Special Hockey’s 10 teams. His Player Info section includes a Skills Tutorials page loaded with instructional videos from USA Hockey. The Coach/Volunteers section has a Tips and Drills section that also multiple videos showing how to run a variety of drills. Wieseler built a Maps and Directions page that shows the home rink for all 10 teams and shows the locations of cities that have shown interest in joining the organization.

Making his mark: Wieseler has two registration pages, one for when registration is active and another for when it is closed. When registration opens, he simply disables the Registration Closed page and enables the Registration page that is set up for active registrations.

Discuss on the Community Forum  //  Share or Tweet
    Loren Nelson

About the Author

Loren Nelson is the Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Email Loren a Comment or Idea

Tag(s): Webmaster of the Week