Kayla Royal

Site:

North Carolina Furniture Direct Farm Club

Position:

Business Development Director

Use of platform:

Registration, Sitebuilder, Tourney

Background:

Royal, a University of North Texas graduate, worked as an advertising consultant for the San Marcos (Texas) Daily Record before joining NCFD Farm Club more than four years ago. While she has no formal internet technology or graphic design training, she learned the inner workings of websites and taught herself how to use Photoshop while working at the Daily Record. She said was eager to switch NCFD Farm Club from its old website platform, “that I just hated” to Sport Ngin. 

What she does:

Royal’s all-encompassing role (she handles scheduling, website management and marketing, among other duties) deserved an all-encompassing title, “So we picked something random,” Royal said about her business development director position for NCFD Farm Club, a six-field baseball facility in San Marcos. The facility hosts 42-to-50-team tournaments every weekend in the spring and early summer. It is owned by North Carolina Furniture Direct founder Earl Studdard, a baseball fanatic who was a pitcher before blowing out his shoulder as a kid playing American Legion ball. Studdard has plans to expand the 88-acre NCFD Farm Club grounds into a massive 19-field baseball complex. Royal, meanwhile, has worked to make it clear that the facility is based in Texas, not North Carolina, by using the NCFD acronym as much as possible. Ease of use is a common theme for Royal, who posted registration instructions on the Who’s Coming/Register page. “For the large majority of people, they absolutely understand what is going on because the registration is so simple,” Royal said. “But there are always a few that ask me 10 billion questions. I put the instructions up there so they have a second reference other than my cell phone.”

Making her mark:

Roya’s created a Facility landing page that includes the club’s mission statement, aerial photos of the fields, a Google map and video that shows a mix of game highlights and training session clips. The page also has Call to Action links to Rules & RegulationsOur Complex Amenities and Practice Facilities & Field Rentals pages. There’s also a Concessions page that uses the Media Slider page element to display photos of the concession stand and its menu (a BBQ sandwich sells for $5, Frito pies for $3.50).

Loren Nelson Headshot

About Loren Nelson

Loren Nelson is Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Connect with Loren Nelson

Loren's Social Media Contacts