Pro soccer player is dynamite webmaster

02/29/2016, 12:45am CST
By Loren Nelson

Webmaster of the Week: February 29-March 6

Name: Doug Miller

Site: Doug Miller Soccer

Position: Founder, owner, webmaster

Use of platform: Registration, Sitebuilder

Background: Miller, who started playing soccer when he was five, has scored more than 500 goals in professional career that includes stints with numerous indoor and outdoor teams and spans more than three decades. Miller turned pro in 1991 and is still going strong today at age 46 as a member of the Syracuse Silver Knights of the Major Arena Soccer League. A Succasunna, New Jersey, native, Miller played for Loyola College in Baltimore, Maryland, where he was team captain his junior and senior seasons. His goal-scoring exploits during two tours with the indoor Rochester Raging Rhinos (he’s the franchise’s all-time leading scorer) helped make him a soccer icon in the Rochester, New York, area. He established Doug Miller Soccer in 1996, a Rochester-area program that has grown to more than 20 teams and 360 players. As much as he loves playing, Miller says coaching is his biggest passion. “I’m blessed that I get to do something I love everyday,” he said while taking a break from sketching out training session plans. “This is what I have been called to do.” He purchased the Rochester Sports Dome in 2009 and renamed the facility the Doug Miller Family Sports Park. He lives in Greece, New York, with his wife Kari, and two daughters Kayla and Kalista.

What he does: Miller, who has been on the Sport Ngin platform since late January, helped migrate content from his old site, saying he completed much of the process in a day. “It is much simpler now,” Miller said about his new website and online registration process. “There’s less confusion for our customers. We wanted to make it easy for them to get from Point A to Point B.” The site’s homepage includes a video of Miller’s highlights as a Major Indoor Soccer League star. His goal celebrations include leaps into the plexiglass, outlandish dance moves and the raising of his jersey to reveal a T-shirt underneath that shows images of his two daughters. “When you are getting paid to play the sport you are in the entertainment business,” he said. He also added a fun homepage video that shows a youngster at the facility solving a Rubik’s Cube in a matter of seconds. The site also has detailed information about the facility, the staff and Miller’s playing career.

Making his mark: Miller embedded the video code on the homepage of webcams that show what is happening live on both his north and south fields. Depending on the time of day, it might show a cart picking up range balls or players participating in drills. “First and foremost the camera’s are there for safety reasons,” Miller said. “I can watch from my office and from my phone. And if the kids are practicing or playing a game, grandparents in Minnesota can be watching them.”

Discuss on the Community Forum  //  Share or Tweet
    Loren Nelson

About the Author

Loren Nelson is the Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Email Loren a Comment or Idea

Tag(s): Webmaster of the Week