Webmaster provides warm-weather hockey fix

02/01/2016, 4:15am CST
By Loren Nelson

Webmaster of the Week: February 1-7

Name: Devin Ishida

Site: Ice Angeles Hockey League

Position: Co-League Director

Use of platform: League, RegistrationSitebuilder, 

Background: Although Ishida grew up in the shadow of the old Culver City Ice Arena, he didn’t give hockey a try until he was in his late teens and early 20s. “I knew the (NHL’s Los Angeles Kings) would practice there, but that was about it,” he said. One day a group of Ishida’s friends decided, on a whim, to go play hockey at the now-shut down rink located about 14 miles west of downtown Los Angeles. Ishida joined in with his buddies, “goofed around” a few more times in pickup games with friends and, by then, was sufficiently hooked on the sport. He joined a men’s league and, 10 years later, was running a league with 65 teams playing out of four Los Angeles-area facilities. A Culver City High School and Cal State Long Beach graduate who works as a home insurance appraiser, Ishida stopped running his hockey league after several years but continued to play regularly. Seven years ago he saw the opportunity to organize a league out of the Skating Edge Ice Arena in Harbor City, California. Ishida and Sean Horton serve as league directors. What started as an eight-team league is now up to 35 teams, with the league using every available minute of ice time available at Skating Edge. Ishida, who has two hockey-playing boys, and Horton switched to the Sport Ngin platform last spring.      

What he does: Ishida handles most of the registration duties and regularly posts league information, including team photos of the champions from each division. His sense of humor comes through in a FAQ section on the homepage that includes the question, “Where is the Ice Angeles office?” Ishida explains that the league does not have an office at the rink, gives a mailing address and adds, “Sorry, but we do not have a physical address for you to come and hang out at! And per my wife and kids, my home is off limits! I can’t speak for Sean however.” Horton is in charge of entering full game statistics for every team in each of the league’s six divisions.

Making his mark: Ishida created a Past Champions section that consists of a photo gallery showing team photos of every league champ. The Policy Guide section lists, in detail, all of the league’s policies and rules.

Discuss on the Community Forum  //  Share or Tweet
    Loren Nelson

About the Author

Loren Nelson is the Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Email Loren a Comment or Idea

Tag(s): Webmaster of the Week