skip navigation

Webmaster provides warm-weather hockey fix

By Loren Nelson, 02/01/16, 4:15AM CST

Devin Ishida's Ice Angeles adult league is testament to sport's popularity in Los Angeles

Webmaster of the Week: February 1-7

Name:

Devin Ishida

Site:

Ice Angeles Hockey League

Position:

Co-League Director

Use of platform:

League, RegistrationSitebuilder, 

Background:

Although Ishida grew up in the shadow of the old Culver City Ice Arena, he didn’t give hockey a try until he was in his late teens and early 20s. “I knew the (NHL’s Los Angeles Kings) would practice there, but that was about it,” he said. One day a group of Ishida’s friends decided, on a whim, to go play hockey at the now-shut down rink located about 14 miles west of downtown Los Angeles. Ishida joined in with his buddies, “goofed around” a few more times in pickup games with friends and, by then, was sufficiently hooked on the sport. He joined a men’s league and, 10 years later, was running a league with 65 teams playing out of four Los Angeles-area facilities. A Culver City High School and Cal State Long Beach graduate who works as a home insurance appraiser, Ishida stopped running his hockey league after several years but continued to play regularly. Seven years ago he saw the opportunity to organize a league out of the Skating Edge Ice Arena in Harbor City, California. Ishida and Sean Horton serve as league directors. What started as an eight-team league is now up to 35 teams, with the league using every available minute of ice time available at Skating Edge. Ishida, who has two hockey-playing boys, and Horton switched to the Sport Ngin platform last spring.      

What he does:

Ishida handles most of the registration duties and regularly posts league information, including team photos of the champions from each division. His sense of humor comes through in a FAQ section on the homepage that includes the question, “Where is the Ice Angeles office?” Ishida explains that the league does not have an office at the rink, gives a mailing address and adds, “Sorry, but we do not have a physical address for you to come and hang out at! And per my wife and kids, my home is off limits! I can’t speak for Sean however.” Horton is in charge of entering full game statistics for every team in each of the league’s six divisions.

Making his mark:

Ishida created a Past Champions section that consists of a photo gallery showing team photos of every league champ. The Policy Guide section lists, in detail, all of the league’s policies and rules.

Loren Nelson Headshot

About Loren Nelson

Loren Nelson is Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Connect with Loren Nelson

Loren's Social Media Contacts