Tech newbie thrives in sink-or-swim role

01/11/2016, 1:00pm CST
By Loren Nelson

Webmaster of the Week: January 11-17

Name: Dorothy Hanling

Sites: Coronado High School Water Polo, Coronado Aquatics Club

Position: Board member, Webmaster

Use of platform: Sitebuilder, Registration

Background: Dorothy Hanling, who grew up in Connecticut, now finds herself in the midst of what has been an eight-year family “vacation” on Coronado Island, the resort city of 24,000 that sits across San Diego Bay from downtown San Diego. Hanling and her husband, Steve, are raising four children ranging in age from 19 to 11. Seventeen-year-old daughter Jennifer is a member of the Coronado girls’ varsity water polo team, and another daughter, Rachel, also played before graduating last year. Dorothy Hanling ramped up her involvement in the Coronado Aquatics Club last summer when, during a transition of board members, she volunteered to manage the club’s site just as it was moved onto the Sport Ngin platform. Hanling’s new role falls well outside of her comfort zone. She worked as a medical researcher before focusing on raising her family full time and says her technology skills are, at best, limited. “I know nothing about computers,” Hanling said. “But I was I always amazed at what you can do with them.”

What she does: Hanling manages all aspects both the Coronado High School Water polo and Coronado Aquatics Club sites. She said she works under the direction of the club's head coach, Randy Burgess, who pushed for the switch Sport Ngin and wanted the club's two sites connected through a splash page. While her goal is to eventually train coaches and team managers on how to use the platform, for now she has been inputting all the information that appears on both sites, including team rosters, schedules and results. She also has been busy getting the club’s new online registration system up and running. She said the club typically has about 100 registered members, and the number of online registrants this winter has been steadily rising as she makes parents aware of the new system. “I think it is going to take one or two seasons to get everyone rolled into the new registration,” she said. Hanling said parents and athletes are regularly using the Sport Ngin mobile app for team communication. “The feedback I’m getting is that people who are hooked into the app, they really appreciate it,” she said. Among the content Hanling has loaded on Aquatics Club home page is a call out to local photographer Kel Casey, photos of some of the top players produced by the club and a plug to a local sponsor.

Making her mark: Hanling set up Pools pages on both sites that list all of the pools in not only San Diego but all of Southern California. The page includes links to a Google map for each of the pools.

Discuss on the Community Forum  //  Share or Tweet
    Loren Nelson

About the Author

Loren Nelson is the Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Email Loren a Comment or Idea

Tag(s): Webmaster of the Week