Webmaster of the Week: November 16-22

Name:

Derek Bingham

Site:

Seattle Elite Baseball

Position:

Co-founder, webmaster

Background:

A Connecticut native, Bingham attended Syracuse University - where he played on the club baseball team - before transferring to Central Washington University for his final two years of college. Bingham has been interested in coaching since he was a teenager, and he began his career coaching Little League teams when he was 16. He has been the head coach at Lake Washington High School for the last 11 years, leading the Kangs to six state tournament appearances. In 2010 Bingham co-founded Seattle Elite Baseball, which has grown from one league at its inception to five leagues with more than 110 teams this year. “I don’t think I ever envisioned it getting this involved,” Bingham said about his coaching career, which also has included leading an elite program.

What he does:

Bingham’s job as an eCommerce Systems Consultant involves working on a website for a major Seattle-area insurance company. That experience helped him quickly build out the new mobile responsive Seattle Elite site, which launched on the Sport Ngin platform in October. “Once I had access to all the web tools, I did a lot of trial and error,” Bingham said. “I had a couple late nights for sure, when I was inspired.” The Tournaments section of the site includes Who’s Coming lists for various events. Those lists were created using the Survey Report page element and, because of their link to Registration information, are automatically updated when a new team signs up for an event. Bingham created an Elite Organizations section to showcase Seattle Elite members, each of the 33 organizations has its own landing page with a logo and basic information.

Making his mark:

Bingham used his Photoshop skills to create championship banners for all of the league’s champions dating back to 2011 on the League Champions page. He used the Tab Element page element to separate the champions by year.

Loren Nelson Headshot

About Loren Nelson

Loren Nelson is Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Connect with Loren Nelson

Loren's Social Media Contacts