Webmaster of the Week: November 9-15

Name:

Ricky Testa

Site:

TR Baseball

Position:

Founder, president, webmaster

Background:

Testa grew up just east of Dallas in Mesquite, Texas, where he attended Poteet High School. Testa went 29-4 as a high school pitcher, then played two seasons at McLennan Community College in Waco, Texas. He was selected to the 2006 JUCO All-Star Game. Testa completed his college career at Lamar University, and he was named the team’s co-most valuable pitcher in 2009 when he went 8-3 with a 4.13 ERA and 84 strikeouts. The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Testa was selected in the 18th round of the 2009 MLB amateur draft by the Colorado Rockies and played two seasons in the Rockies’ farm system. Testa founded TR (Texas Rockies) Baseball in the fall of 2012 and co-owns Redd’s Dugout, a training facility in Dallas that opened in 2013. Testa doesn’t have formal website design training, but he said his uncle owns a website design business, and, “When I was a little kid, he used to show me the ins and outs of the websites he was building,” Testa said.

What he does:

Testa moved his site onto the Sport Ngin platform in early October and has been adding content almost nonstop ever since. He also hasn’t been afraid to experiment with page elements, and he used a variety of them (Scoreboard, Countdown Timer, Call To Action, Power Poll, Facebook and Code) to create a stunning homepage. Testa also put considerable thought into the landing pages for the six main sections of the site. Most are decked out with text, photos and Call to Action page elements. The Clubhouse section includes About, Contact, FAQ, Philosophy, Testimonials and Tryout pages, each of which is smartly designed with a mix of text, photos and other design elements. “The goal for my website is give the kids in my organization the publicity that basically I didn’t have when I was growing up playing baseball,” Testa said. 

Making his mark:

TR Baseball has about 48 players on six teams ranging in age from 10U to 18U. Testa has kept full statistics from every game played by all of TR Baseball’s teams, and he has been busy entering those stats (about 250 games in all) on the site. His Records page includes all-time TR Baseball offensive leaders and pitchers who have thrown no-hitters and perfect games.

Loren Nelson Headshot

About Loren Nelson

Loren Nelson is Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Connect with Loren Nelson

Loren's Social Media Contacts