skip navigation

Baseball webmaster in it for the long haul

08/31/2015, 12:15pm CDT
By Loren Nelson

Webmaster of the Week: August 31-Sept. 6

Name: David Van Volkenburg

Site: Longshots Baseball

Position: Website Content and Development Director

Background: Van Volkenburg played football and baseball growing up in Aurora, Illinois, then headed off to Eastern Illinois University where he received a degree in business with an emphasis in computer management. He works as the senior vice president of IT for a beer distribution company and stays involved in sports through his role with the Longshots. Van Volkenburg’s two sons, Ryan and Alec, both played for Longshots teams growing up. Ryan was a lefthanded pitcher on the 2013 Lisle High School team that won the state Class 2A championship. Alec is a senior baseball (second baseman and pitcher) and football player for Lisle. Van Volkenburg, who was a programmer early in his career, said he volunteered to help with site, which launched on the Sport Ngin platform in April of 2013, as a way to get back to his web development and design roots. “This has almost become my little hobby,” Van Volkenburg said. “I plan on doing it until they tell me they don’t want me to do it anymore.”

What he does: Van Volkenburg’s fingerprints are all over the site, from design to content to navigation and all points in between. He says he gets a lot of direction and suggestions from the organization’s executive board, and he is quick to put those ideas into action. The Who We Are and Alumni sections of the site are particularly loaded with content, right down to a section that explains how the organization got its name. The Alumni section includes a Depth Charts page that lists not only the colleges former players have gone onto but also groups them by position. The Alumni News page includes an update on former players complemented by multiple photo galleries showing those players in college. The Longshots have had 39 former players selected in the Major League Baseball draft, and all of them are listed (with team they were selected by and year and round in which they were picked), in a table created by Van Volkenburg on the MLB Draft Picks page.

Making his mark: Van Volkenburg created a 90+ MPH Velo page with multiple tables and photos that show Longshots players who have thrown 90 mph or faster, including brothers Zack and Nick Burdi, both of whom have reached 100 mph.

Discuss on the Community Forum  //  Share or Tweet
    Loren Nelson

About the Author

Loren Nelson is the Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Email Loren a Comment or Idea

Tag(s): Webmaster of the Week