skip navigation

Webmaster helps kids secure scholarships

04/27/2015, 2:30pm CDT
By Loren Nelson

Webmaster of the Week: April 20-26

Name: Theresa Nunn

Site: South Texas Hoyas

Position: Founder, Director, Coach, Webmaster

Background: College basketball scholarship offers weren’t abundant for Nunn when she was attending San Antonio's Winston Churchill High School. On the contrary, Nunn, aided by her mother, had to actively market herself to college coaches around the country – a time-consuming and costly process. “I wasn’t a big-time player,” Nunn said. She eventually landed at Valley City State University in Valley City, N.D., then transferred after a year to a junior college in Kansas. Nunn started the South Texas Hoyas Basketball program in 2005 with the aim, in part, of helping players land scholarships (HOYAS is an acronym for Helping Our Youth Attain Scholarships). Nunn has, without a doubt, succeeded in her goal. Her daughter, Deja Kelly, attracted nationwide attention (including an appearance on the Today Show) in October when, as a seventh-grader, she made a verbal commitment to play Division I basketball at Texas.

What she does: Nunn’s involvement in the South Texas Hoyas goes well beyond serving as its director. She is also a coach, bus driver, social media director, graphic designer and, of course, webmaster. She recently switched the Hoyas’ site to the Sport Ngin platform, and she oversaw all aspects of the construction of her her new site – from the homepage design to the content creation and architecture to even building some of the graphic elements (the three “call out” buttons near the top of the home page). 

Making her mark: Nunn makes sure parents of all her players load the Sport Ngin app and then follow their sons’ or daughters’ teams. She then posts announcements that keep parents and players alerted with must-know information. “We were at a tournament that had a gym location change and a time change,” Nunn said. “I got it out to everybody straight to their phone. Normally, in another situation, I would have to be texting everybody.”

Pass the Flame

Encourage a young athlete with an inspiring message. Thank a coach, parent, or teammate who's made a difference in your life. Pass the flame for them to share and keep alive. Because one little spark is all it takes to ignite something great.

Discuss

Community Forum

Discuss on the Community Forum  //  Share or Tweet
      Loren Nelson

About the Author

Loren Nelson is the Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Email Loren a Comment or Idea

Tag(s): Webmaster of the Week