skip navigation

Scheduling solution saves time

By Loren Nelson, 03/19/15, 2:30PM CDT

Diamond Scheduler software's Sport Ngin integration eases difficulty of traditionally tough task

Scheduling hundreds of games for dozens of teams – usually with limited access to facilities, among myriad other constraints – takes a special type of volunteer.

Rob Powers says he was “suckered” into the scheduling position for Eastvale (Calif.) Little League. Jeff Castellanos, recreational league scheduler for Flower Mound (Texas) Youth Sports Association, claims to have been “bamboozled” into the role.

Not that Powers and Castellanos are complaining. Both are fluent in using Diamond Scheduler sports scheduling software to create schedule files that then load directly into their Sport Ngin sites.

Watch the video below to see how Diamond Scheduler works and how it integrates with Sport Ngin league management

“I can’t imagine doing it and not using some kind of software,” said Powers, who schedules games for more than 90 teams in Southern California’s Inland Empire. "I have heard of guys doing it with Excel. It would be weeks in the making." 

Powers said last year’s schedule for the league’s competitive teams (ages 8 and up) totaled about 800 games. He scheduled another 400 games for the league’s younger players. The league runs from March to mid-May. 

“All the games are played on five fields,” Powers said.

Powers said his wife convinced him to attend an Eastvale Little League board meeting. The next thing he new, he had been handed the scheduling duties.

“She said, ‘Come to a meeting … you can just do the website, you won’t have to show up again,' ” he said.  “I got suckered.”

The story is much the same for Castellanos, whose neighbor served as the executive vice president of the Flower Mound Youth Sports Association. 

“He also did the scheduling,” Castellanos said, “and he kind of wrangled me into doing scheduling two years ago to help him, knowing that he was going to transition out and that my kids were young enough still. I kind of got bamboozled.”

Castellanos said there are about 70 teams in the association, and each plays 10 games. Those 700 games are spread across 25 fields. 

“We have one coach who coaches three teams,” Castellanos said. “So I try to build in some breaks so he can get from one field to another.”

Castellanos served as a beta tester for a recent release of Diamond Scheduler. Both he and Powers said there is a learning curve for newcomers to the software.

“Yeah, we had bugs and problems,” Castellanos said. “But the level of support is insane. I am definitely a believer. We signed up for a year.”

Diamond Scheduler offers a free “Lite Version,” a $99 one-year subscription and $249 three-year subscription.

Loren Nelson Headshot

About Loren Nelson

Loren Nelson is Community Manager at SportsEngine. He is also the National Media Editor and has served in a variety of other customer facing and media roles since 2009.

Loren's Social Media Contacts